[comp.lang.c] large arrays on IBM PC

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/08/88)

In article <377@uwovax.uwo.ca> 16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) writes:
>	Try that sort of thing under MS-DOS, with a _BIG_ matrix ...
>	int array[200][200];
>... with Turbo C, and ... MSC ... The compiler choked on it because the
>array exceeds 64K.  However, I've used a Fortran compiler which will let
>me create such matricies with absolutely no complaint.

But do they *work*...?  :-)

There are MS-DOS C compilers which will compile the above without
complaint.  You must use the so-called `huge model'.  Chances are there
are just as many (ratio-wise at least) FORTRAN compilers for these
machines which will `choke on it'.  (Just for yucks, what happens
with

	double arr[400][400];

or

	DOUBLE PRECISION ARR(400,400)