[comp.lang.c] Annoyingly necessary spaces

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (07/08/88)

I really like the "return xx" vs "return(xx)" issue.  But, hey, you get to
choose.

What I want to know is when the illegality of "i=++j" or the old-fashioned
syntax default of "s=*++t" and "m=--n" is going to go away.  Is this just
a cloying Berkeleyism?  Will ANSI C make a difference, or is the weight of
tons of old-fashioned code going to decide matters?

It can't be too difficult to put in a "-pg40" compiler flag, meaning "pro-
grammer is under 40 years old, and doesn't care to hear about how all the
overgrown hippies programmed once upon time", or something to that effect.

If I wanted a language where I had to put extra blanks around operators,
I'd program in COBOL.  (And no, I'm not a reformed APL hacker.)

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

In article <11812@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>What I want to know is when the illegality of "i=++j" or the old-fashioned
>syntax default of "s=*++t" and "m=--n" is going to go away.  Is this just
>a cloying Berkeleyism?

Yes.  AT&T C compilers stopped supporting the =op form years ago.

>Will ANSI C make a difference, or is the weight of tons of old-fashioned
>code going to decide matters?

I believe there aren't many C compilers other than ones derived from
the old version of PCC that Berkeley shipped that still support =op.
ANSI C simply canonicalizes actual modern practice; I doubt that it
will much affect the rate at which =op vanishes, except perhaps that
as Standard conformance is required in future procurements more old
code will end up finally getting fixed.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/09/88)

>In article <11812@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
(Obnoxious Math Grad Student) asks whether `=op' operators are

In article <8227@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>Yes.  AT&T C compilers stopped supporting the =op form years ago.

4BSD stopped (a) year ago.  They are gone in 4.3BSD-tahoe.  Those programs
that used them (Berkeley Pascal, struct) have been fixed.

Old-fashioned initialisations are gone too.  No more erroneous recovery
(and corresponding error cascade) from

	int f(x) imt x; { ...