[comp.lang.c] Suspicious Pointer Conversion joke

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/08/88)

an associate of mine who was raised in the Soviet Union is
learning how to program in C.  naturally, he soon began getting
his share of suspicious pointer conversions.

he finally asked me what was going on, explaining that he was
getting tired of looking over his shoulder every time he
compiled his code...

somehow, i don't think that's what K & R had in mind;
did the original C (B?) compilers issue this warning, as well ?

In article <1613@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:
>somehow, i don't think that's what K & R had in mind;
>did the original C (B?) compilers issue this warning, as well ?

No, mostly because type checking was much looser in those days.  Actually,
as late as V7 (when the type structure was starting to be fairly strict),
this message did not exist.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu