[comp.lang.c] ``"Numerical Recipes in C" is incredibly biased'' Is it now?

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (09/09/88)

In article <632@muffin.cme-durer.ARPA> libes@cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes) writes:
> [ Numerical Recipes in C is FORTRAN translated by people who don't
>   quite know what they are talking about; evidence from a review in
>   Micro/Systems Journal that quotes matter from the introductory
>   chapter.
> ]
> Isn't there a better book for numerical programming in C?

The FORTRAN origins of the NRC code are at points quite clear, there
are several routines that could easily have been coded base 0, and
were coded base 1, and so on.  The introductory chapter contains
several remarks about C that to the experienced C programmer, and even
to me, sound rather inane.  All true.

However, I do not know of any book, in *any* language, that contains
the quality and quantity of numerical material that NRC has.  You
should take into account that good numerical analysis is more than 80%
math, so even if the programming job were botched (and it isn't), the
book would be worth its money.  Further, apart from the base-0/base-1
array issue that has been beaten to death in this group already, the
actual C code (as opposed to their philosophy about it) is good.  The
reason for this is simply that while numerical code may have very
intricate analysis behind it, the actual code tends to be rather
simple -- a couple of for loops and a handful of if's is typical.

Finally, the problem with the base-1 arrays can simply be solved by a
minor change to the vector(), dvector(), ivector(), matrix(),
dmatrix() and imatrix() code, with a corresponding change in the
free_<vector, etc> routines.  I posted the change for vector() a while
ago.

In summary, anyone who claims the book to be of little or no value is
not doing it justice.

Rob Carriere