[comp.lang.c] floating point formats

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (09/20/88)

(Forwarded)

From: hpda!hpcea!hplabs!rutgers!premise.zone1.com!stein (Rich Epstein)
Subject: Re: should double have better precision or greater range?

According to the Digital Technical Journal Number 2, March 1986 on
the MicroVAX II System:
pg 14:

"Seventy floating point instructions are implemented in the floating point
chip, when it is present, If that chip is absent, the instructions are
emulated in macrocode. The remaining 59 instructions and 5 data types
are always emulated in macrocode."

Those remaining 59 include all H floating instructions. I have
successfully used G floating point numbers on a Microvax and they
are definitely different than D, F, and H types.

Feel free to post this to comp.lang.c if appropriate (I'm new at this)

----
Thanks, Rich.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes

         "How do you make the boat go when there's no wind?"
                                 -- Me --