[comp.lang.c] Allen Holub, DDJ & small business

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (09/19/88)

In article <5765@gssc.UUCP> bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) writes:
>In article <636@muffin.cme-durer.ARPA> libes@cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes) writes:
>They [DDJ] have every opportunity to tell their side of the story that Holub has,
>plus one that he does not.  If they offer no defense, we just have
>to assume they are guilty as charged (1/2 :-) here).

In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

A. DDJ might regard Holub's remarks as sour grapes, and not wish to descend
   to mudslinging.
B. If they publish an attack on Holub, they might be sued for libel or slander.
C. They might even be sued for discrimination of some sort.

Regardless of the merits of Holub's complaints, of which only he and DDJ
really know, this is a free country. DDJ can hire whoever they want. Alan
Holub is also welcome to start his own magazine, which I am sure would do
well seeing that he obviously has a large and loyal following.

In these days of cheap desktop publishing, I suspect that a small magazine
could be started for under $10,000. How about it? I've known many people over
the years who were fired or laid off, who then started their own businesses.
Some have done well, and are glad that the dismissal gave them the boost
they needed!

I started my business for $6030 ($6000 for the computer, $30 for the
business license). I also borrowed it all.

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (09/22/88)

From article <1693@dataio.Data-IO.COM>, by bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright):
> In article <5765@gssc.UUCP> bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) writes:
>>In article <636@muffin.cme-durer.ARPA> libes@cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes) writes:
>>They [DDJ] have every opportunity to tell their side of the story that Holub has,
> Holub is also welcome to start his own magazine, which I am sure would do
> well seeing that he obviously has a large and loyal following.

Can I be the first to ask for a subscription?  I don't have anything to
advertise, however, so maybe I'm not important :-).  Seriously, I liked
Holub's column and I am cancelling my DDJ subscription--so what magazine
to turn to?  Until Allen starts his own, is the 'C' Journal (Robert Ward's)
good?
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (09/28/88)

Someone asked where to turn now that DDJ is a smoldering heap of
debris.  I kind of like COMPUTER LANGUAGE.  They concentrate
exclusively on programming; all they ever review is compilers and
tools.  Their articles are practical, the kind you tend to xerox and
hand around.  (I have spawned a gaggle of Boyer-Moore converts at the
office that way.)

Disclaymore: I have no connection with CLM whatsoever except as a
	     contented subscriber.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (10/01/88)

in article <6704@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) says:

> Someone asked where to turn now that DDJ is a smoldering heap of
> debris.  I kind of like COMPUTER LANGUAGE.  They concentrate

What about Byte?  It has taken the same route as DDJ.  The marketing
people at byte run the show now.  It is so unfortunate because Byte
used to be such a great magazine.  Look at A+.  After Maggie Cannon
left, it turned to the same stuff.(that stuff of plant growing
quality)  What ever happened to Micro?  It would hold up its standard
for the enthusiast, programmer, hardcore whatever!  Aren't there any
good magazines around anymore??

Just my opinion.  Standard disclaimer.  Etc.

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: (gould || uunet)!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

jim.nutt@p11.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (jim nutt) (10/02/88)

 > From: dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson)
 > in article <6704@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) says:
 > comp.sys.apple:1310
 > >
 > > Someone asked where to turn now that DDJ is a smoldering heap of
 > > debris.  I kind of like COMPUTER LANGUAGE.  They concentrate
 >
 > What about Byte?  It has taken the same route as DDJ.  The marketing
 > people at byte run the show now.  It is so unfortunate because Byte
 > used to be such a great magazine.  Look at A+.  After Maggie Cannon
 > left, it turned to the same stuff.(that stuff of plant growing
 > quality)  What ever happened to Micro?  It would hold up its standard
 > for the enthusiast, programmer, hardcore whatever!  Aren't there any
 > good magazines around anymore??

try micro cornucopia out of bend, oregon.  a nice, small, friendly magazine that comes out bimonthly.  they do a little of everything and love submissions.  another possibility is the programmer's journal, but it is more ibm oriented (although they cover a lot of ground as well).

jim nutt
'the computer handyman'

--
St. Joseph's Hospital/Medical Center - Usenet <=> FidoNet Gateway
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!15.11!jim.nutt