[comp.lang.c] books based on draft-proposed ANSI C

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (09/30/88)

>>Which reminds me: are there any good books out yet giving a complete
>>description of the dpANS? ...
>
>Not unless you count K&R2.  How can there be?  The dpANS is still changing!
>(There is a hope that it won't change much more, but that is a hope only.)
>Once there is a real, true ANSI C standard, you can expect a flood of books
>about it.

I'm already starting to see several books at bookstores that claim to
be based on ANSI C or draft-proposed ANSI C.  In an effort to be first,
aren't the authors of these books doing the C community a disservice
by putting in print information that could change in the near future?  If
I run out and buy K&R 2nd ed. (which I did) and then something changes
between the writing of the book and the final standard I'm not likely to
spend more money for a new book.  I therefore wind up with an incomplete
reference.  Of course no one is twisting my arm to buy the book so it
will be my own fault.  I just wonder why the authors of ANSI C based
books can't wait a few months.  Wouldn't you rather have a book that
said "based on ANSI C" than "based on draft-proposed ANSI C"?  What will
Kernighan and Ritchie do if the standard is different in at least one
significant way from the draft at the time of writing of their book?  Will
we see K&R 3d ed. published six months after the 2d ed?

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/03/88)

The Harbison & Steele 2nd edition has been out for six months or so -- it
is based on the last-but-one ANSI draft and ought to carry any careful
reader for years to come.  "PS Don't use NOALIAS" is all the update you
really need.  I really think things are stable enough at this point that
we can trust the leading names in C textbooks.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/06/88)

In article <6773@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> The Harbison & Steele 2nd edition has been out for six months or so -- it
> is based on the last-but-one ANSI draft and ought to carry any careful
> reader for years to come.

The second edition of Kernighan and Ritchie, "The C Programming
Language" has been out for about the same amount of time.  I consider
this "The New Testament" for C programming.  Best to get the information
straight from the horses... uh... whatever. :-)
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes

         "How do you make the boat go when there's no wind?"
                                 -- Me --

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (10/10/88)

In article <205@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <6773@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>> The Harbison & Steele 2nd edition has been out for six months or so

       More like a little over a year.

>The second edition of Kernighan and Ritchie, "The C Programming
>Language" has been out for about the same amount of time.

       It only came out a few months ago.

        But that is besides the point.  Besides possessing those two gems
(as well as the first editions of them) I also obtained Tom Plum's "Notes
on The Draft C Standard", which was published in 1987 either at the same
time as H&S or prior to it.  I wrote to the folks at Plum Hall about my
concern of the standard changing and invalidating the book.  They promptly
sent me three pages of revisions and changes per the January 1988 Draft
of X3J11.  Perhaps the other publishers will do the same?

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207