[comp.lang.c] employees and companies

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (10/26/88)

In article <8747@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Probably the main reason you were flamed for your attempt to be helpful
>is that the advice you gave was poor.
>[...]
>It is particularly galling to see such a suggestion coming out of AT&T,
>considering all the hours I have spent in tracking down and fixing this
>exact problem in source code that AT&T licensed commercially.  I hope
>you AT&T hackers learn how to use the official variable argument
>mechanism and save us all a lot of unnecessary grief.

While I agree with your critique of the poster's post, I think any
comments linking a poster with his employer are unfair, unjust, and
just plain stupid.   Aren't we all grown up enough to not have to
put **disclaimer** around every word we write.  Clearly the original
poster was not representing any official position of AT&T.  Do we
even have any idea of his function at AT&T?  I've had people tell
me that a "Sun person should know better", etc.  Hell, for all you
know I could just be a janitor with an account.  The point is that
companies can have many, many, people with net access that may not
necessarily be related to any product or experience you've had with
that company.  If someone is an idiot, call THEM an idiot.  Leave
their company, school, organization, etc. out of it.  Dragging an
organization's name into the discussion could cause them to try
to limit net access to their employees for fear that they will
embarrass the organization.  I don't want to see this happen.

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

mhm@cbnews.ATT.COM (Michael H. Moran) (10/26/88)

In article <74525@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
[ Text rehashing the whole thread of comments ]
>that company.  If someone is an idiot, call THEM an idiot.  Leave
>their company, school, organization, etc. out of it.  Dragging an
>organization's name into the discussion could cause them to try
>to limit net access to their employees for fear that they will
>embarrass the organization.  I don't want to see this happen.

>Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
>Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson
>Mt. View, CA

In most companies, the only things that get back to the management are
the negative aspects of the net.  The cost, the "wasted" man hours,
and the impact it has on the company when some idiot says something
the he/she should be flamed for and yet somehow, the company ends
up getting flamed.  Did you ever stop to wonder what happens to
the sites that just go dead?  Think management might have cut them
off due to the bad image they perceived was being generated about the
company.

Mike Moran
Contracted to AT&T-BL			UUCP:	att!cbyen!mhm
Columbus, Ohio					mhm@cbyen.att.com