[comp.lang.c] ... why not an 'obfuscate' tool for C instead?

cme@cloud9.UUCP (Carl Ellison) (10/26/88)

In article <931@goofy.megatest.UUCP>, djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
> From article <eB93d#29Vk4y=eric@golux.UUCP>, by eric@golux.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond):
>
> > NAME
> >    obfuscate -- code obfuscator for semi-secure source code distribution
> Perhaps we should have a contest to see who can write the best version
> of this... "The Obfuscating C Contest."

Hmmm.

As a fan of PASCAL, who uses C only when he has to,
I've been convinced for years that this program exists
and has been in use -- perhaps since the creation of C.  :-)

(before you flame -- I'm an old BCPL hacker -- love it --
just prefer strict type checking, typed pointers, ....)

--Carl