[comp.lang.c] C-Linkable Expertshells

sp@tnoibbc.UUCP (Silvain Piree) (10/17/88)

I'm designing a system that will have modules programmed in C and others
programmed using an expertshell. My aim is to fully integrate all modules and
therefore I need to be able to link the expertshell with the C code.

I know of two shells that offer this capability :

- CxPERT from Software Plus  ( Generates C source )

- KES    from Software Architecture & Engenering, Inc. ( Linked with C )

Does anyone know any other expertshells that can be integrated with C ?

Please e-mail to me and I'll summarize to the net.

--
Silvain Piree: TNO - IBBC                   USENET : sp@tnosel
             : lange kleiweg 5              UUCP   : ..!mcvax!tnosel!sp

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (10/19/88)

Teknowledge's M.1 and COPERNICUS shells are fully integrable with C
(they're written in C, in fact.)
--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Los Angeles, CA
Internet/Domain:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

ntm1169@dsacg1.UUCP (Mott Given) (10/19/88)

From article <852@tnoibbc.UUCP>, by sp@tnoibbc.UUCP (Silvain Piree):
> I'm designing a system that will have modules programmed in C and others
> programmed using an expertshell. My aim is to fully integrate all modules and
> therefore I need to be able to link the expertshell with the C code.

Another software package that you can use is CLIPS, C Language Integrated
Production System.  It is a LISP-like language in appearance that primarily
uses forward chaining with the Rete algorithm.  It allows you to embed an AI
application in a C program.  It was developed under a contract for NASA and
is available for use through COSMIC, 404-542-3265 (for around $200 I believe).
It was not intended to be a commercial product, so it is not as user-
friendly as one would expect from a commercial product.
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency ,DSAC-TMP, P.O. Box 1605,
	    Systems Automation Center, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (10/19/88)

G2 by Gensym (Cambridge, MA) can link with C code.
Gensym phone: (617) 547-9606.
--
Chuck Noren
NET:     ncar!dinl!noren

raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eric A. Raymond) (10/21/88)

CLIPS is NASA's shell:
  - built in C
  - can turn rules into C (if desired)
  - comes with full source
  - a subset of ART (Inference Corp.)
  - nice integrated environment for Mac
  - extremely portable
  - fast
  - low memory requirements (relative to other systems)
  - cheap ($250 for public, free for government)

Available from COSMIC (404) 542-3265

Name: Eric A. Raymond
ARPA: raymond@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
SLOW: NASA Ames Research Center, MS 244-17, Moffett Field, CA 94035

Nothing left to do but :-) :-) :-)

TechServices@cup.portal.com (Angelo C Micheletti) (10/22/88)

Neuron Data's NEXPERT OBJECT is not only written in C but
is completely embeddable in YOUR application program and
runs on IBM AT/PS2, Mac, Vax, HP, Sun, Appolo and has the
same look on each.  Be happy to furnish more information
if you'll let me know.

patnaik@slustl.UUCP (Gagan Patnaik) (10/24/88)

In article <852@tnoibbc.UUCP>, sp@tnoibbc.UUCP (Silvain Piree) writes:

> Does anyone know any other expertshells that can be integrated with C ?

Yes, RuleMaster2 by Radian Corp. is based in C, and produces C and
FORTRAN source codes. Radian Corp. is based in Austin, Texas.

jones@ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones) (10/25/88)

In article <852@tnoibbc.UUCP>, sp@tnoibbc.UUCP (Silvain Piree) writes:

> Does anyone know any other expertshells that can be integrated with C ?

CLIPS was developed by NASA at Johnson Space Center by the Artificial
Intelligence Section, is written entirely in C.  It runs on the IBM PC,
and my AMIGA, without modification.  Source is included.  And, you have
already paid for this with your taxes.

Mark Jones

Joseph C Giarratano, PhD was heavily involved.

bem@a.cs.okstate.edu (Blayne Mayfield) (10/26/88)

From article <2725@ingr.UUCP>, by jones@ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones):
> In article <852@tnoibbc.UUCP>, sp@tnoibbc.UUCP (Silvain Piree) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know any other expertshells that can be integrated with C ?
>>

> CLIPS was developed by NASA at Johnson Space Center by the Artificial
> Intelligence Section, is written entirely in C.  It runs on the IBM PC,
> and my AMIGA, without modification.  Source is included.  And, you have
> already paid for this with your taxes.

It sounds like a great deal.  Where can one get a copy of CLIPS?

Blayne Mayfield