[comp.lang.c] Disassembling was Re: Machine-independent intermediate languages

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/15/88)

In article <e6m10#2eDFfC=eric@snark.UUCP>, eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> Peter ("Have you hugged your wolf today?") deSilva seems to think the point
> of a uMIIL is to provide a medium for selling software, a way for it to be
> distributed in machine-independent form that nosy hackers can't read and
> modify.

> Excuse me, but I thought the security problem in for-sale software was to guard
> it from unauthorized *copying* and *use*, not unauthorized *understanding.

Well, some vendors are afraid of people (competitors?) understanding
their code.  Tandy Radio Shack software usually includes in
the copyright notice "customer is explicitly forbidden to disassemble
the software."  Few serious computerists have been deterred
by this notice (I know of one who was for a while), but they
are afraid to post the disassemblies on public BBSes.

There is a question of "fair use" here, since sometimes you have
to hack and patch a program to make it useful on your system.
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Lawyers are like handguns and nuclear bombs.  Nobody likes them,

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (10/16/88)

In article <7226@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
> ... Tandy Radio Shack software usually includes in
> the copyright notice "customer is explicitly forbidden to disassemble
> the software." ...
>
> There is a question of "fair use" here, since sometimes you have
> to hack and patch a program to make it useful on your system.

Be careful here.  Most software is protected by license agreements
that are substantially more restrictive than mere copyright.  If
you buy software and agree to the terms, and if the terms say "no
disassembly", then you aren't allowed to do it.

I know that license agreements are subject to interpretation, but
"fair use" is not likely to apply much to software except for
backup purposes.

Note: (friedl != attorney) && (friedl == thankful)

Follups to comp.misc

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

In article <7226@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>... Tandy Radio Shack software usually includes in
>the copyright notice "customer is explicitly forbidden to disassemble
>the software." ...

This sort of restriction is very common.  Sun binary licenses include
a similar clause.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (10/23/88)

In article <1988Oct21.155329.14161@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
-In article <7226@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
->... Tandy Radio Shack software usually includes in
->the copyright notice "customer is explicitly forbidden to disassemble
->the software." ...
-This sort of restriction is very common.  Sun binary licenses include
-a similar clause.

So does Apple's.  What I wonder is, in the absence of a signed license
agreement, is any of that enforceable?

renglish@hpisod1.HP.COM (Bob English) (11/03/88)

> / gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) / 12:51 pm  Oct 22, 1988 /
> In article <1988Oct21.155329.14161@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> -This sort of restriction is very common.  Sun binary licenses include
> -a similar clause.
> So does Apple's.  What I wonder is, in the absence of a signed license
> agreement, is any of that enforceable?

I suspect, though as usual I am not a lawyer (not while I'm sending
messages, anyway), that the real effect of the "Do Not Disassemble"
warnings is to protect unpublished algorithms.  As I understand it, an
algorithm is a basic idea, and cannot be patented or copyrighted any
more than a mathematical theorem can.  A particular implementation of
that algorithm is, however, copyrightable.  By adding a prohibition
against disassembly, companies give themselves a cause for action if
their secret algorithms make it into the public domain ("He must have
disassembled, etc.").

Also, remember that lawyers routinely write unenforceable provisions
into contracts for intimidation purposes.  I know of cases where
employees where asked to sign non-disclosure agreements so broadly
written that, had they been enforceable, the employees would have been
unable to seek outside employment in their fields.  When they
complained, they were told not to worry, that the offensive provisions
couldn't be enforced.

All of which takes us pretty far afield.  Weren't we talking about C?

--bob--