[comp.lang.c] Racism on comp.lang.c

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (11/03/88)

In article <1695@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
: >[copy of Henry's signature.]
: [a bitch about the signature.]

Look. It doesn't matter who he is. Should he have an opinion, he's as
entitled as anyone else to use his signature to express it.  If you
don't like the sentiments, send e-mail; that is your right. But don't
waste our time with your problems.

Nationalism is just one more kind of racism; it is ugly and demeaning.
Keep it out of here.

---
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Bill Wells at Home
but not at NASA.                |{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

(Sorry Henry, for the plagiarism.)

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (11/04/88)

Obviously my mistake.

I have to learn all these customs piece by piece.

Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
have to pay the consequences.
--
                                                   -- s m ryan
+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

rob@raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (11/05/88)

In article <1737@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
>to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
>have to pay the consequences.

Decide == talk about????

How did you feel in '69 when the whole world was cheering on NASA?
Liked it?  Then you'll have to live with the less-than-thrilled
attitude today.  What you are talking about is at least censorship,
and probably something far more ugly yet.

Also, by your own argument, if Canadians aren't allowed to think
about things American, then Americans aren't allowed to think about
things Canadian.  So what gave you the right to comment on his
.signature?

Rob Carriere
"The only good censor..."

matt@nbires.nbi.com (Matthew Meighan) (11/05/88)

In article <1737@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
>to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
>have to pay the consequences.

Oh, come on now!  How is commenting on something "deciding" it?  Surely
anyone in the world has a right to have -- and express -- an opinion on
our "internal affairs".  Your statement implies that no one outside our
borders is supposed to think about anything we do, or if they do, they
should at least keep it to themselves.  This is silly.  As a global
power, not to mention a member of the global community, we DO affect
other countries, and people in other countries certainly do have
opinions about us.  What's wrong with that?

It would seem that our attempts to travel into space would naturally
be of interest to humanity as a whole, not just U.S. citizens.

Also, I wonder if your "don't comment on the internal affairs of other
countries" policy applies to the U.S. as well as to other nations.
Have you never commented on anything the Nicaraguans, or the Libyas,
or the Israelis, or the Iranians, (or etc...) did?  Do you oppose our
military intervention in Nicaragua, El Salvador, etc?  Did you oppose our
invasion of Grenada, our bombing of Libya, our earlier active support
of Marcos and our present support of Aquino, etc., etc?  If not, then
you are applying a far different standard to the U.S. than to other
countries -- all of those actions (and thousands more) are examples of
the U.S. heavily influencing, if not "deciding", the internal affairs
of other countries -- and all our friend from Cananda did was comment
upon ours.

---------
Matt Meighan
matt@nbires.nbi.com (nbires\!matt)

danw@tekchips.CRL.TEK.COM (Daniel E. Wilson) (11/07/88)

  This is a news group about C not about .signature files.  Please
take this somewhere else.

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (11/07/88)

Since I've been severely beaten about the head and shoulders, if you really
want an answer, resend your messages to another group. I shan't be answerring
here.
--
                                                   -- s m ryan
+--------------------------------------------------------+---------------------+

pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) (11/13/88)

In article <1737@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:

>Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
>to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
>have to pay the consequences.

Deciding the affairs of other countries?  Is that like Reagan
coming on Canadian TV to tell us why we have to be good little Americans
and vote for Brian Mulroney?

Or is that like putting in a signature line talking about our "Unfair"
subsidies, like decent Medicare, Unemployment Insurance, and protection
for the Environment.

I suspect you voted for Reagan because of his famous "Trees cause more
pollution than people" speach.  Or was it because of James Watt?

Sorry, I know this goes somewhere else, but I didn't start this!

Canada is not Grenada, Iran or Nicaragua.  Keep your gun-boat diplomacy
to your self!
---
Paul Tomblin,  Department of Redundancy Department      |Free Trade -Yes
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision ??                  |Mulroney   -No
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here aren't      |
    necessarily even mine!                              |

--
Paul Tomblin,  Department of Redundancy Department      |   o o     Are we
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision ??                  |    v      having

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (11/22/88)

In article <444@geovision.UUCP> pt@geovision.UUCP (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>In article <1737@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>>
>>Like forgetting about international diplomancy. Also anyone has the right
>>to decide the internal affairs of other countries even though he does not
     ^^^^^^
>>have to pay the consequences.
>
>Deciding the affairs of other countries?  Is that like Reagan
>coming on Canadian TV to tell us why we have to be good little Americans
>and vote for Brian Mulroney?

I believe this was already clarified as not deciding, but rather COMMENTING
on the internal affairs [...] (which damn-well better be inconsequential
to the commenter, or we're no better off than the Iron-Curtain countries!).

>Sorry, I know this goes somewhere else, but I didn't start this!

No matter who started -- please take this thread elsewhere!

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com