[comp.lang.c] cdecl on a PC

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (11/26/88)

Just for everyone's edification:
After using cdecl at work for some time and bemoaning the fact I didn't have
it on my PC at home, I finally decided to try compiling it at home using
MSC 5.1 under DOS.

Compiled and worked first time.
--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (11/27/88)

From article <5282@edsews.EDS.COM>, by charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette):
> Just for everyone's edification:
> After using cdecl at work for some time and bemoaning the fact I didn't have
> it on my PC at home, I finally decided to try compiling it at home using
> MSC 5.1 under DOS.
When I saw this request, I thought I was confused.
Now I know I'm confused.
If I open a QuickC file, and put
cdecl(
put my cursor under cdecl, and hit shift-F1, I get help about cdecl.
This implies that it is already there.  Since QuickC is a subset of
MSC 5.1, what is it that I don't understand?
--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011

mwg@inxsvcs.UUCP (Phil Blecker) (11/28/88)

In article <824@starfish.Convergent.COM>, cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> From article <5282@edsews.EDS.COM>, by charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette):
> > After using cdecl at work for some time and bemoaning the fact I didn't have
> > it on my PC at home, I finally decided to try compiling it at home using
> > MSC 5.1 under DOS.
> When I saw this request, I thought I was confused.
> Now I know I'm confused.
> If I open a QuickC file, and put cdecl(

The first cdecl refers to a program written in C.

The second cdecl is a keyword in Microsoft's C language. (It's their way of
declaring that a function was written in the C language, or a function
that obeys C calling conventions -- you can look it up in their docs).
--

Phil Blecker                       none of my ideas belong to me and
uunet!inxsvcs!mwg                  i accept responsibility for that

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (11/28/88)

> In article <824@starfish.Convergent.COM>, cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>> From me :
>> cdecl on PC, works, etc.
> When I saw this request, I thought I was confused.
> Now I know I'm confused.
> If I open a QuickC file, and put cdecl(

Sorry - I wasn't clear (and I program on a PC at home - maybe there's a
relationship ;^> ).

The cdecl I was referring to is a program which analyzes C declarations and
spits out amazingly good english descriptions of what the declaration
refers to.

cdecl in the Microsoft languages is a keyword which specifies that C style
parameters and calling conventions will be used. This keyword (cdecl) is
of use when  Mixed-Language programs will be used (anyone remember INTER
OPTION ASM or INTER OPTION COBOL or INTER OPTION FORTRAN :^( ).

Again, sorry if I confused anyone on a PC out there. Get cdecl (the
program) from your local, friendly archive site. You'll be glad you did.

--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.
750 Tower Drive           Voice: (313)265-7006        FAX: (313)265-5770
Troy, MI 48007-7019       charette@edsews.eds.com     uunet!edsews!charette

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson) (11/28/88)

	Could someone please send me a copy of the source to cdecl!
	Thanks for the help!

	Danke Sehr
	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

jim.nutt@p11.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (jim nutt) (11/29/88)

 MA> From: charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette)
 MA> The cdecl I was referring to is a program which analyzes C declarations
 MA> and
 MA> spits out amazingly good english descriptions of what the declaration
 MA> refers to.

there is a program on the pc called ctell which does much the same thing.  it's available fairly widely...

jim nutt
'the computer handyman'

--
St. Joseph's Hospital/Medical Center - Usenet <=> FidoNet Gateway
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!15.11!jim.nutt