[comp.lang.c] Wanted: explanation of error messages ...

840369k@aucs.UUCP (Elric Kinslayer) (11/30/88)

I have been using C for most of my major programming now for roughly three
years, but even now I find many error messages produced by the compiler to
be very cryptic and not too helpful.  Error messages and the problems that
they indicate are rarely addressed in most C programming books I have read.

Can anybody post/email a canonical list of error messages and their meanings?
It would certainly make my debugging sessions a lot shorter.

Thanks in advance ...

|            Kelly Kendrick            Acadia University, N.S.               |
|            {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!840369k               |

In article <1410@aucs.UUCP> 840369k@aucs.UUCP (Elric Kinslayer) writes:
>... Error messages and the problems that
>they indicate are rarely addressed in most C programming books I have read.
>
>Can anybody post/email a canonical list of error messages and their meanings?

Unfortunately, error messages and their meanings are completely specific
to individual compilers, so no general book or posting can do much good.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

evil@arcturus.UUCP (Wade Guthrie) (12/03/88)

In article <1410@aucs.UUCP>, 840369k@aucs.UUCP (Elric Kinslayer) writes:
> Can anybody post/email a canonical list of error messages and their meanings?
> It would certainly make my debugging sessions a lot shorter.

I have put a *REALLY* short list of error messages together for a class
I am teaching, but could use a longer list -- could I have a copy of this
too?  Thanks.

Wade Guthrie
Rockwell International
Anaheim, CA

(Rockwell doesn't necessarily believe / stand by what I'm saying; how could
they when *I* don't even know what I'm talking about???)