[comp.lang.c] How to find Mr. Gwyn -- sorry to use net bandwidth

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (12/17/88)

In article <3029@arcturus> evil@arcturus.UUCP (Wade Guthrie) writes:
>I am trying to find (I believe it is Doug) Gwyn at the following
>address, but it gets bounced back to me (I have checked our maps
>completely, but it is the only route I get):
>sunkist!sun!gould!smoke!gwyn

I'm responding publicly because there may be others who don't
know how to do this.

The message headers should have my net address.  Unfortunately
our news software seems to think
	gwyn@brl.arpa
is appropriate, probably because there are so many system
administrators who have failed to upgrade their systems to
handle domain addressing properly.  My preferred address is
	Gwyn@BRL.MIL

Both of these are Internet addresses.  Internet is a real
network, unlike the USEnet kludge.  Officially the Internet
uses a "domain" naming system, so that host tables are
unnecessary.  In fact a lot of our mail software refuses to
use host tables even when they would be of some help.

If you don't know how to route mail to Internet sites, try
passing it through a site that does, e.g. uunet.
	...!uunet!Gwyn@BRL.MIL

Gould's problem is worse than usual because some of their
local systems have (or at least had) names that conflict
with those the NIC had registered in its official host table.
I seem to recall that "smoke" was one of these.  ("Fire-breathers",
you know.)