[comp.lang.c] Nonsyntactic macros

english@stromboli.usc.edu (Joe English) (12/17/88)

In article <2417@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:

>One of the first things that students in my C class who are reformed
>;-) Pascal programmers, want to do is this:
>
>#define BEGIN  {
>#define END    }
>
>and a whole slew of other macros to make C look like pascal.

Which, being new C programmers, they don't really know how to do.
Just the other day I was helping an incorrigible Pascal programmer
debug some C code.  She was only using C out of necessity, and had
done the following:

#define begin     {
#define end;      }

Which is not only wrong, but can be wrong in different ways depending
on the preprocessor!

I really think that it was a bad idea for K&R to mention that this
sort of thing is possible.  Is their discussion of non-syntactic
macros in the 2nd edition, too?

      /|/| "How do you convince your dermatologist
-----< | |                      that you're being sexually responsible?
  O   \|\| english%lipari@oberon.usc.edu