[comp.lang.c] OH NO!!

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (12/20/88)

From article <952@ardent.UUCP), by mec@outcast.ardent.com (Michael Chastain):
) OK, here's my favorite switch statement:
)
) 	switch ( iThing )
) 	{
) 	default:
) 		stmt;
) 		stmt;
) 		break;
)
) 	case 1:
) 		stmt;
) 		stmt;
) 		goto LCase2;
)
) 	case 2:
) 	LCase2:
) 		stmt;
) 		stmt;
) 		break;
) 	}
)

GOTO-Alert!! GOTO-Alert!!  Prepare asbestos suits immediately.
Repeat.  Prepare asbestos suits immediately.

This is not a drill.

Stand by for Strident-Pedant-Warning to follow.

wes@wsccs.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (12/22/88)

From article <952@ardent.UUCP), by mec@outcast.ardent.com (Michael Chastain):

In article <1098@goofy.megatest.UUCP>, djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
> GOTO-Alert!! GOTO-Alert!!  Prepare asbestos suits immediately.
> Repeat.  Prepare asbestos suits immediately.
> This is not a drill.

How 'bout a USELESS GOTO ALERT!  If you remove the lines

) 		goto LCase2;

and

) 	LCase2:

the code does the same thing!  Whoever wrote this mess needs to get a job
he/she/it can actually handle.
--
                          Signature?  What Signature?
                      Oops, I left my .signature on Obie!

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (01/14/89)

In article <828@wsccs.UUCP> wes@wsccs.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>From article <952@ardent.UUCP), by mec@outcast.ardent.com (Michael Chastain):
>) OK, here's my favorite switch statement:

   ...start of switch omitted....

>) 	case 1:
>) 		stmt;
>) 		goto LCase2;
>) 	case 2:
>) 	LCase2:
>) 		stmt;
>In article <1098@goofy.megatest.UUCP>, djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>How 'bout a USELESS GOTO ALERT!  If you remove the lines
>) 		goto LCase2;
>and
>) 	LCase2:
>
>the code does the same thing!  Whoever wrote this mess needs to get a job
>he/she/it can actually handle.

    Calm down.  Perhaps he was just being safe (i.e., in case someone was
    to later insert another case-label between case1 and case2).

    John Hascall
    ISU Comp Center

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (01/14/89)

From article <655@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu), by hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall):
) In article <828@wsccs.UUCP) wes@wsccs.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
)
))the code does the same thing!  Whoever wrote this mess needs to get a job
))he/she/it can actually handle.
)
)
)     Calm down.  Perhaps he was just being safe (i.e., in case someone was
)     to later insert another case-label between case1 and case2).
)

Precisely. I thought that was quite clear in the original posting.
I guess the gentleman gets to keep his job after all? :-)