[comp.lang.c] character-at-a-time i/o

In article <225800108@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Things like NOS are why I WANT it IN THE STANDARD!!! If you only get
>a line at a time YOU CAN'T, ABSOLUTELY CAN'T write decent software.

Odd, I can recall a good bit of decent software which doesn't use this
feature...

More to the point, filling a standard with lots of Good Things which you
are sure everybody ought to be required to implement is a good way to
have your standard shelved and ignored.  Standards are useful only if
they are widely accepted.  They will be widely accepted only if they are
not too painful to implement on existing systems.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu