[comp.lang.c] C For Programmers

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (01/15/89)

I recently came to the conclusion that it was time for me to learn C
well enough to program in it as well as I do in the other languages
that I know.

The problem with this endeavour was that I do not have a C guru easily
accessible of whom I can ask all sorts of silly questions; thusly, it
was book buying time.

The problem with most 'How To C' books out there is that they're aimed
at people who for the most part haven't programmed seriously ever
before (not to mention that most of the books are about MessDos C
compilers). I wanted a book that just told me about all the relevant
bits of C with the premise that I know how to program and have done so
for a while. I wanted a book that told me how C does all the things
that I already know about (records/strcuts etc).

I think I found it:

C For Programmers
by Leendert Ameraal
Published by Wiley & Sons
$19.95

It's not big, but in the course of an evening's reading it had
answered most (if not all) of the questions that I still had about C
without going down to the level of explaining the difference between
an integer and a function.

Although I have found this marvelous book, I am curious if there are
other books in a similar vein out there. If I get enough answers, I
will post a summary. BTW, this request is not *necessarily* only for C
books. If you know of a really good book about a programming language
that isn't so basic as to be painful, it would probably be worthwhile
to pass the information on.

Stephan

<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->
Stephan Somogyi                           AppleLink: X1058
Software Engineer                         BIX: mulabs
MacUser Labs                              CIS: 72511,16
950 Tower Lane, 18th Floor                GEnie, MacNET: MULABS
Foster City, CA 94404                     FAX: (415) 378-5675

...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

geoff@warwick.UUCP (Geoff Rimmer) (01/17/89)

In article <13555@cup.portal.com> MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) writes:
>The problem with this endeavour was that I do not have a C guru easily
>accessible of whom I can ask all sorts of silly questions; thusly, it
>was book buying time.
>Although I have found this marvelous book, I am curious if there are
>other books in a similar vein out there.

I think you'll find the Kernigan + Richie (sp? i usually just say
"K&R" :-)   latest edition is very good.  It's the one that deals
with ANSI C.  I saw it when I was over there (over the Atlantic
that is) in Dallas, and wish I'd bought it, because it was nearly
half the price we have to pay for it in England!

>Stephan
>
>...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, England.
			geoff@uk.ac.warwick.emerald

	"There is no Father Christmas.  It's just a marketing ploy
	to make low income parents' lives a misery."
	"... I want you to picture the trusting face of a child,
	streaked with tears because of what you just said."
	"I want you to picture the face of its mother, because one
	week's dole won't pay for one Master of the Universe
	Battlecruiser!"
		- Filthy Rich and Catflap, 1986.