[comp.lang.c] new Quick C "2" ?

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (01/17/89)

I just saw a new book on "Using QuickC" by Werner Feibel. This is the
new 1989 copywrite book, not the 1988 one I already have.  It is said
to cover the original QuickC as well as version 2.

Has anyone heard about this new version?  When is it coming out.  How
about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
across compiles, etc.
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

geoff@warwick.UUCP (Geoff Rimmer) (01/18/89)

In article <2759@skivs.UUCP> dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>I just saw a new book on "Using QuickC" by Werner Feibel. This is the
>new 1989 copywrite book, not the 1988 one I already have.  It is said
>to cover the original QuickC as well as version 2.
>
>Has anyone heard about this new version?  When is it coming out.  How
>about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
>a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
>integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
>across compiles, etc.

The problems I have found with QuickC (1.00 and 1.01) are :

(a) what you mention, about not being able to compile from the editor
in large memory model.  Hope this V2 comes out soon!

(b) with the combined package of MSC 5.1 and QC 1.01, I found that the
'make' program which came with MSC 5.1 took up too much room in the
memory for qcl to be executed.  Hence, I have had to use the previous
version of make, which I got with QC1.00, simply to compile my programs!

(c) my C program is constantly too big for 'link' - when the object
files are linked together, I frequently get the error "Stack plus data
exceed 64K".  The only way I have found of getting around this problem
is to take out several functions in my code (usually functions that I
*want* in the program, but don't 100% *need* ).  However, soon, it is
going to come to a point when I am only left with essential functions
and I am going to have big problems!

Can anyone help me out on (b) & (c) ?

I am using a DELL 200 series 640K RAM, and am compiling in large
memory model.

Also, can someone tell me the difference between QC1.00 and QC1.01 -
there was no documentation to show any differences.

Geoff

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, England.
			geoff@uk.ac.warwick.emerald

	"Why don't we go out for one NON-alcoholic drinkie?"
	"Such as?"
	"Vodka"

		- Filthy Rich and Catflap, 1986.

foss@iris.ucdavis.edu (Jim Alves-Foss) (01/19/89)

In article <2759@skivs.UUCP> dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>to cover the original QuickC as well as version 2.
>
>Has anyone heard about this new version?  When is it coming out.  How
>about updates from version 1.01?

I just received the update notice from MS. Yes version 2.0 is suppose to
support all memory models in the environment, faster compilation, in-line
assembler, enhanced debugger, CGA,EGA,VGA and Hercules graphics and the
On-line programming reference guide (Via QC Advisor).

All for the low(?) upgrade price of $50 (unless you aquired an earlier
version AFTER December 15, 1988 -- just my luck to get MSC 5.1 with
QC 1.01 on Dec 1st 1988)
-Jim Alves-Foss

jal3495@ultb.UUCP (Jeff Leyser) (01/19/89)

In post <2759@skivs.UUCP>, dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) says:
!Has anyone heard about this new version [version 2]?  When is it coming out.
!How about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
!a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
!integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
!across compiles, etc.
!--
!David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
!The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

Yup, V2.0 is now available.  Cost is $50 + $5.50P&H, unless your last
upgrade (or the initial purchase) took place after Dec. 15th, in which
case you are only charged the P&H.  New features include:

o On-line 'hypertext' based reference guide.

o A new 'getting started' book _Up and Running_.

o Support for all memory models in the intergrated environment.

o Faster compiling (claim of "up to 25,000 lines per minute").

o Support of in-line assembler.

o Better video support, include CGA, EGA, VGA, Herc and
  "presentation-quality graphics and fonts."

o "An enhanced, intergrated source-level debugger."

All of the above is from the promo stuff I got just yesterday, and the
quotes are exact.

So, I asked myself, just what is the big deal?  I sure don't see $50
bucks worth there.  I don't use the envirnoment (hate the editor), I
rarely use a debugger, and compile time is just fine on my '286.
Frankly, I'm overwheleming unimpressed.

Usual disclaimer:  I don't work for Msoft, and I _do_ like the version
of QuickC I use.
--
Jeff Leyser, Professional Student           {WCS}!rochester!ritcv!ultb!jal3495
                 a[b] == b[a] -- The Ultimate in Job Security

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (01/20/89)

In article <923@ubu.warwick.UUCP> geoff@emerald.UUCP (Geoff Rimmer) writes:

>The problems I have found with QuickC (1.00 and 1.01) are :

>(c) my C program is constantly too big for 'link' - when the object
>files are linked together, I frequently get the error "Stack plus data
>exceed 64K".  The only way I have found of getting around this problem
>is to take out several functions in my code (usually functions that I
>*want* in the program, but don't 100% *need* ).  However, soon, it is
>going to come to a point when I am only left with essential functions
>and I am going to have big problems!
>I am using a DELL 200 series 640K RAM, and am compiling in large
>memory model.

The problem you describe is not a bug in the compiler.  You are declaring
large amounts of data as static or declaring many large variables to be
global to a module.  The solution is to make some stuff auto (which doesn't
solve very much because you need to keep the stack size down) or to
dynamically allocate it (which is the smart way to do it.)  The problem
is that all memory models for that compiler need to have global data and
stack in one (64k max) stack.

For instance, you must have some modules that look like this:

--------- Top of file
int bigArray[10000];

void foo()
{
	/*  Do some stuff with bigArray  */
}
---------

which you should change to look like

--------- Top of file
int * bigArray_p;

void foo()
{
	/*  Allocate (zero-initialized) memory for bigArray  */
	bigArray_p = (int *)calloc( 10000, sizeof( int ) );
	if ( bigArray_p == NULL )
		dieHoribleDeath();

	/*  Do some stuff with bigArray  */
}
---------

See, the second way allocates space for bigArray on the heap, where there
is lots of memory, and the linker won't grumble any more.  Besides, doing
things this way will lead to better programming style because it will be
easier to manipulate data and pass it from module to module.

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

sasc03@dsachg1.UUCP (Ned D Hanks) (01/20/89)

From article <2759@skivs.UUCP>, by dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins):
> Has anyone heard about this new version?  When is it coming out.  How
> about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
> a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
> integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
> across compiles, etc.

I have V1.01 and just received my update notice in the mail.  The
notice said it would handle all memory models in the enviroment.  It is
also suppose to come with a hypertext type reference manual.  You put
the cursor on a word and press a couple of keys to get something
similar to a man page.
--
...!uunet!unbc3!haven!ames!lll-tis!oodis01!obie!wsccs!ned
...!uunet!unbc3!haven!ames!lll-tis!oodis01!dsachg1!nhanks

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (01/21/89)

From article <299@ultb.UUCP>, by jal3495@ultb.UUCP (Jeff Leyser):
> In post <2759@skivs.UUCP>, dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) says:
> !Has anyone heard about this new version [version 2]?  When is it coming out.
> !How about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
> Yup, V2.0 is now available.  Cost is $50 + $5.50P&H, unless your last

What kind of upgrade is that?
I only paid $69 for it to begin with.
I do like the version I've got, so I'm not excited about buying a new one
at essentially dealer cost.
--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011

kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu (Don Kneller) (01/21/89)

In article <299@ultb.UUCP> jal3495@ultb.UUCP (Jeff Leyser) writes:
>In post <2759@skivs.UUCP>, dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) says:
>!Has anyone heard about this new version [of MSC QuickC]
>Yup, V2.0 is now available.  Cost is $50 + $5.50P&H, unless your last
>upgrade (or the initial purchase) took place after Dec. 15th

[list of features deleted.  One feature is an on-line hypertext reference]

There is no hardcopy manual!  You can order one for about $25 plus shipping.

>So, I asked myself, just what is the big deal?  I sure don't see $50
>bucks worth there.

One thing new for Microsoft.  It comes with a 30-day, no questions asked,
money-back guarantee.  I say "it's about time!".
-----
	Don Kneller
UUCP:		...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
INTERNET:	kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		kneller@ucsfcgl.BITNET

deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) (01/22/89)

To those who have received update notices for
Quick C: are the notices going to those who
purchased Quick C as a separate item only, or
is the notice also going to everyone who has
Quick C, including those who received it with
"optimizing" C 5.x?

Dean Roth
{rutgers, uwvax} uwmcsd1!lakesys!deanr