[comp.lang.c] Looking for Microsoft Windows developer's library

roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) (01/19/89)

  I'm developing a new software program, and am considering developing
the software to run under Microsoft Windows.  I'm aware of a Microsoft
product called the "Windows Developer's Library" or something like
that.  The problem is, it's quite expensive (about $450 retail, about
$250 from SDSU).  What exactly is in this package?  Is it worth it?  Is
it necessary (i.e. would a good book do as much for me)?  Does anyone
have it and want to sell it cheap?

William Roetzheim
(619) 223-2307

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (01/20/89)

In article <3408@sdsu.UUCP>, roetzhei@sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) writes:

>   I'm developing a new software program, and am considering developing
> the software to run under Microsoft Windows.  I'm aware of a Microsoft
> product called the "Windows Developer's Library" or something like
> that.  The problem is, it's quite expensive (about $450 retail, about
> $250 from SDSU).  What exactly is in this package?  Is it worth it?  Is
> it necessary (i.e. would a good book do as much for me)?  Does anyone
> have it and want to sell it cheap?

The Windows Developer's Kit (which I'm assuming you are referring to) is
not simply documentation -- though it has a fair amount of that too (3
thick looseleaf notebooks).  It also includes a modified linker and other
programming tools (like C include files and icon writing programs) required
to write Windows programs.  I suppose you could do without it *IF* you were
sufficiently well-versed in Windows to duplicate all that code, but why
bother?  It would take more of your time than you could possibly save
(unless you are going to write -better- versions of those utilities, and
-sell- them).  Probably the most essential component is the linker --
Windows programs use a different format of .EXE file (similar to an OS/2
.EXE file), so you can't just use the DOS linker!!

You might however want to get a book on writing code for Windows - two
that aren't bad are "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold (published
by Microsoft Press), and "Graphics Programming under Windows" by
Brian Myers and Chris Doner (published by Sybex).

Good luck --

						Bruce C. Wright

jjboritz@violet.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) (01/24/89)

In article <2732@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>Probably the most essential component is the linker --
>Windows programs use a different format of .EXE file (similar to an OS/2
>.EXE file), so you can't just use the DOS linker!!

Actually the latest version of the linker which comes with C5.1 will produce
executables that will run under Windows.

One of the most important things that comes with the Windows Software
Development Kit is the resource compiler.  This is the thing that takes
icons, menus, dialog boxes, and the like and stores them as part of the
executable.   Among the tools like an icon editor and a dialog box
editor, the latest version of the kit comes with Codeview for Windows.

Considering what you get, and the amount of time it would take you to
recreate even the minimal elements that would be necessary, I think that
your money would be well spent.
--

    Jim Boritz			{uunet,utai,clyde}!watmath!violet!jjboritz
    University of Waterloo	jjboritz@violet.waterloo.edu