[comp.lang.c] computer magazines

kehyoe@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Ong Keh Yoe) (02/27/89)

Hello,

	Could someone give me any good suggestions for computer
magazines that deal mainly with programming techniques ?  I am
looking for articles very similar to Programming Pearls by Jon Bentley,
or perhaps, Software Tools by Kernighan and Ritchie.  Something along
the lines of software engineering at the implementation level will
interest me.  Is there such a magazine ?  Oh, my main interests
are in programming in C, Ada and any other high level language.
I am also interested in X Windows, and Unix.

	Thanks to one and all,

	Keh Yoe

	the happy hacker

rpandey@mist.cs.orst.edu (Rajeev Pandey) (02/28/89)

  One good programming-oriented computer magazine I've discovered recently is:

  "Computer Language"

  its a monthly, somewhat micro-oriented (not as much as, say, Byte, however).

  Subscription is $24.95 for a year, and the address is:

	Computer Language
	P.O. Box 53525
	Boulder, CO  80322-3525

	1-800-525-0643

  [I would also be interested in hearing about any other magazines readers
   have found to be of quality.....]

--------
Dept. of Computer Science      |      Rajeev "Raju" Pandey
Computer Science Bldg. 100     |
Oregon State University        |      Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331-3902      |      UUCP:     tektronix!orstcs!rpandey
(503) 754-3273    U.S.A.       |      UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (02/28/89)

In article <11308@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kehyoe@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Ong Keh Yoe) writes:
>Hello,

>	Could someone give me any good suggestions for computer
>magazines that deal mainly with programming techniques ?

Pick up a copy or two of Computer Language.  It's the only magazine that I
recall that deals specifically with languages and programming techniques
peculiar to them.

Dr. Dobbs current issue compares windowing systems from an application
programming perspective.

>I am
>looking for articles very similar to Programming Pearls by Jon Bentley,
>or perhaps, Software Tools by Kernighan and Ritchie.

Software Tools was originally authored by Brian Kernighan and P. J. (Bill)
Plauger.  A followup, Software Tools in Pascal, was also by these two authors.
The latter book prompted one of the authors to write a paper which compared C
and Pascal.  That paper started out by drawing an analogy between programming
in C vs. Pascal, and flying a Learjet vs. a Piper Cub.

Followups to comp.misc and comp.edu.

--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice: (508) 692-6200 x2471
MASSCOMP Operating Systems Group		Internet: ftw@masscomp.com