[comp.lang.c] Question about C sound capabilities

arb2@hcx.uucp (BOB BARKER) (03/03/89)

 I am new to the C language, and I would like to know if the language has
 the capability to produce sound, or more specificly music.
    Could anyone having any information on this subject please reply or
write me at
	...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!arb2

If this is a foolish request, and there is a library function out there
somewhere that I just have to find, then I appologize for my ignorance.

	Thanks for any help,
	Allan R Baker

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (03/05/89)

In article <1917@cveg.uucp> arb2@hcx.uucp (BOB BARKER) writes:

> I am new to the C language, and I would like to know if the language has
> the capability to produce sound, or more specificly music.

I don't know of a language that is specifically intended for making sound
or music.  Usually, such capabilities are added to the language by a
vendor who supports a specific machine.  These added features are not
actually part of the language itself.

For the ambitious, most C implementations allow easy access to the
underlying hardware.  If you compiler is lacking in the sound department,
you could write your own functions to make sound.

Good luck!
--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice:  (508) 392-2471
Concurrent Computer Corporation			Domain: ftw@masscomp.com

jcbst3@cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) (03/10/89)

In article <1917@cveg.uucp> arb2@hcx.uucp (BOB BARKER) writes:

> I am new to the C language, and I would like to know if the language has
> the capability to produce sound, or more specificly music.

Uhh...depends a lot on the hardware.  On an Amiga, or an Atari, sure can.
Of course, a machine without a speaker and some hardware to drive it can
only make music with a Midi port to a synthesizer, or something like that.
C is *just* a language - it can't give your machine capabilities that
weren't built into the hardware.
--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     "Life is change
University of Pittsburgh					 How it differs

jkl@csli.STANFORD.EDU (John Kallen) (03/10/89)

In article <16574@cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) groovily writes:
>In article <1917@cveg.uucp> arb2@hcx.uucp (BOB BARKER) writes:
>>
>> I am new to the C language, and I would like to know if the language has
>> the capability to produce sound, or more specificly music.
>
>Uhh...depends a lot on the hardware.  On an Amiga, or an Atari, sure can.

uhh... C as a language has *no* capability of producing sound,
regardless of the hardware you're using. C has *no* I/O operations
defined in the language (as opposed to something disgusting like
BAS*C). I/O is taken care of by library functions or system calls.

*If* you have a machine that does support sound, and *if* the libraries
for your computer have sound routines that can be accessed from C as
function calls, then you're set. But C alone won't help you at all...

John.
_|_|___|___|____|_\|___|__|__|_jkl%csli.stanford.edu@uunet.uu.net______________