[comp.lang.c] The Journal of C Language Translation

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (03/31/89)

I've just received an unsolicited sample copy of the above Journal through
the mail.

It appears promising as a source of "inside" 'C' implementation information,
although the contents of this particular 38 page 6"*9" issue hardly appear to
justify the subscription cost of $235 for 4 quarterly issues.

The journal is on the net (hello all at aussie), and I'm just a little
perturbed by the fact that it seems likely that the mail-shot names and
addresses were culled from this newsgroup (tempered though by the very low-key
nature of the sell).

Comments anyone?

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!uunet!philmtl!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

In article <414@philmtl.philips.ca> ray@philmtl.UUCP (Raymond Dunn) writes:
>It appears promising as a source of "inside" 'C' implementation information,
>although the contents of this particular 38 page 6"*9" issue hardly appear to
>justify the subscription cost of $235 for 4 quarterly issues.

My reaction exactly.  At $40 I'd probably subscribe, but not at that price.
By setting the price that high, they've guaranteed that their audience will
remain small.  Even many libraries will balk at spending so much money for a
publication so small and specialized.  A pity; based on the sample issue,
it's stuff that should be more widely known.

>The journal is on the net (hello all at aussie), and I'm just a little
>perturbed by the fact that it seems likely that the mail-shot names and
>addresses were culled from this newsgroup...

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about that, especially since most people
don't give their addresses when posting.  Certainly the questionnaire
they sent out a while ago clearly used addresses from several sources
(they got two of mine).
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (04/03/89)

In article <414@philmtl.philips.ca> ray@philmtl.UUCP (Raymond Dunn) writes:
>It appears promising as a source of "inside" 'C' implementation information,
>although the contents of this particular 38 page 6"*9" issue hardly appear to
>justify the subscription cost of $235 for 4 quarterly issues.

Well, at least there are no ads.  There is an inverse relationship
between price and ad-to-editorial percentage.  Seemingly hyperbolic.

		*Price/year  *Price/issue  	ad-to-total pages
JCLT		$235		$58		0%	0 ad pages (48 total)
C Users Journal	$24		$3		40%	49(124)
UNIX Review	$0		$0		50%	61(122)

The last one isn't a C periodical but it's close enough (it does have
a regular C column) and demonstrates the relationship.  Incidentally,
the difference between 40% and 50% may not seem like much, but it
really is noticable.  (But 40% is still too high.  And so is $235.)

Note that several new C periodicals have recently started (and there
may be more as bigger publishers discover it).  Perhaps somebody else
could fill in the missing figures on the following:

C++ Report	$49		$5		>0%      >0 (12)
						unknown but definitely
						accepting advertising
C Gazette	$21		$5		?
(MS-DOS oriented)

* Price paid by the majority of readers.  Stated price may be higher.
Price/issue is calculated by (price/year)/(issues/year).

> tempered though by the very low-key nature of the sell).

This is the very lowest-key sell I've ever gotten.  I didn't even fill
out the survey I got a couple months ago, and I still got the sample
issue (with no accompanying requests, or subscription cards falling
out of every other page).

Considering the audience is going to be so tiny (as far as for-profit
magazines go), I'd say [gasp] he'd better start advertising more
heavily.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nbs.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

Disclaimer: I occasionally write for the C Users Journal.  But I still
pay for a subscription out of my own pocket.  I no longer write for
M/SJ.

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (04/04/89)

In article <414@philmtl.philips.ca> ray@philmtl.UUCP (Raymond Dunn) writes:
>I've just received an unsolicited sample copy of the above Journal through
>the mail.
>The journal is on the net (hello all at aussie), and I'm just a little
>perturbed by the fact that it seems likely that the mail-shot names and
>addresses were culled from this newsgroup (tempered though by the very low-key
>nature of the sell). Comments anyone?

I got the same Journal. I don't really understand your perturbation. In
your signature, you posted your name and address. So you got junk mail,
is that really a problem? I would get upset about telephone or fax
solicitations, but junk mail is not inappropriate, I get a stack of it
every day that I leave in the trash on the way into my house.
(P.S. Whenever I get a fax solicitor, I call them (on their toll-free number)
and threaten legal action if they don't stop it. Fax paper ain't cheap,
and I don't like running out all the time (the machine won't hold much).)