[comp.lang.c] Portability and windows

In article <4255794d.b11a@falcon.engin.umich.edu>, ejd@caen.engin.umich.edu (Edward J Driscoll) writes:
> People who own Macs PAID for
> the specific features of that machine, and they expect the
> software they use to exploit them.  If you're willing to
> disregard a market of this size, you've got more money than
> I do!

One day, I fervently hope, there will be a clean and elegant standard
for program interfaces to windowing systems. Something that does for
windows what the UNIX stdio package has done for terminals and stream
files.

Certainly the Mac programming environment isn't it. There is a STDWIN
out there, but it's more a lowest-common-denominator approach than a
clean new paradigm. Xwindows, of course, is a monstrosity. I've heard
that HP had a nice programmer interface... does anyone know anything
about it?

Object oriented languages have an advantage here, but something useful
for poor old 'C' would be nice.

[ push fantasy

	window = NewWindow();
	AddPane(window, TextPane, 20, 40);
	AddPane(window, ...
	OpenWindow(window);
]

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

grinstei@hawk.ulowell.edu (Georges Grinstein) (04/07/89)

subject:   1989 IFIP WG 5.10 INTERNATIONAL WORKING CONFERENCE

Please pass this annnoucement along to additional interested people.

To obtain more information and a registration form, just reply to this
message, or to one of the other addresses in the announcement.

                     IFIP CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
          1989 IFIP WG 5.10 INTERNATIONAL WORKING CONFERENCE
                  ON WORKSTATIONS FOR EXPERIMENTATION

                         JULY 27 to 29, 1989

                      Organized by IFIP WG 5.10
                  Hosted by The University of Lowell

PROGRAM:  The purpose of the conference is to provide an international
forum for the exchange of technical information on workstations used
for experimentation.

The conference format will consist of conference paper presentations and
workshops.  Workshops can be classified as tutorial, informational or
for the purposes of producing output documents.  Papers from all nations
are being solicited on the following topics, but are not limited to these:

    Models of Workstation Environments
    Experimental Visualization Workstations or Environments
    Auditory Workstations
    Multi-media Workstations
    Integrated Scientific Workstations
    Integrated Graphics and Imaging Environments
    Supermini Workstations
    Application Workstations
    Interactive Super-Computing
    International Standards and Profiles
    Interconnection and Networking
    User Interface Models and Designs
    Information Object Standards for Interchange
    Distributed Environments
    Graphical Issues
    Systems Issues
    Issues in Perception
    Human Factors

Deadlines to either program chairs:

    Submissions  -  June  1, 1989
    Camera Ready -  July 15, 1989

Attendees will receive a PREPRINT of the Conference Papers and copies
of Workshop Position Papers.  After the conference, all contributions
will be published as Conference Proceedings with an international
publisher.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

Bergeron, Encarnacao, ten Hagen, Hopgood, Kochan, Kromker, Kuijk,
Magalhaes, Mantyla, Mehl, Moltedo, Pickett, Reinfelds, Scheifler, Woodworth.

PROGRAM CHAIRS:

Jose Encarnacao   (FRG)
Georges Grinstein (USA)

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Georges Grinstein   (USA) - General Chair
John Hurtado        (USA) - U Lowell Conference Coordinator

CONFERENCE REGISTRATION :

For information on submittals and registration forms, please contact
chairs via one of the netmail or postal addresses below, or by phone.
Registration will be available at the Conference.

The registration fee is set at $250.  A processing fee of $50 will be
charged on written cancellations received before 25 June 1989.  After
that date, the full fee will be retained.

No refund will be made for people who have paid but do not attend.
However, the workshop postion papers and a preprint of the conference
papers will be mailed to them.

HOTEL INFORMATION:

               Lowell Hilton
               50 Warren Street
               Lowell, MA 01852
               Telephone: (508) 452-1200
               Fax      : (508) 453-4674

        rates: $82/nite single; $97/nite double

75 Rooms are reserved for attendees. This block of rooms will be held
until July 5, 1989.   Be sure to say you are attending the "IFIP 5.10
CONFERENCE" to get the Conference Rate and to credit our conference.

A guarantee (usually credit card) is required for arrival after 6PM.

Because of the National Folk Festival occurring during that weekend,
please register early:

  *       Major other event in Lowell during that weekend:       *
  *                                                              *
  *        The National Folk Festival 7/28-7/30 (Fri-Sun)        *

Alternate hotel information is available From U Lowell.

AIRPORT/AIRLINE INFORMATION:

Logan International Airport in Boston is the closest major airport
served by all domestic and international airlines. It is managed by
the Massachusetts Port Authority (617) 567-2233.

For further conference information -- Send requests to:

      University of Lowell Continuing Education
      Attention -  IFIP Conference
      One University Avenue
      Lowell, MA 01854

Phone:       1 - 508 - 454 - 4664
Internet:    ifip@ulowell.edu
Bitnet:      Boole3005009

Please send submissions to one of the co-chairs:

Dr. Georges Grinstein                internet:  grinstein@ulowell.edu
Graphics Research Laboratory         phone:     1 - 508 - 452 - 5000 ext 2389
University of Lowell                 fax:       1 - 508 - 453 - 6586
Lowell, Massachussetts 01854         telex:     710 343 6461 ULCAR LOWE
USA

Dr. Jose Encarnacao                  internet:  unido!zgdva!jle@uunet.uu.net
Graphische Datenverarbeitung         uucp:      ...mcvax!unido!zgdva!jle
Wilhelminenstrasse 7                 phone:     +49 - (0)6151 - 1000 - 29
6100 Darmstadt                       fax:       +49 - (0)6151 - 1000 - 99
FRG                                  telex:     4 197 367 agd d

Dr. Georges Grinstein         Director - Graphics Research Laboratory
grinstein@ulowell.edu         University of Lowell
(508)-452-5000 x2681          Lowell, MA 01854