[comp.lang.c] Re^2: ANSI C-compliant compiler

njk@freja.diku.dk (Niels J|rgen Kruse) (05/19/89)

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) writes:
(...)
>As I see it the real headache in the next few years will be getting people
>to convert to ANSI-style compilers.  I cringe whenever I'm forced to use
>`cc'... I miss the prototypes and the new-style declarations.  I think it's

Macro frontends can do all the typecoercions of arguments that
you need.

They can also map nice long surface names to short cryptic link
names, should you need that.

I tend to use a macro frontend for malloc:
#define new(req,type) ((type *) malloc ((unsigned)(req) * sizeof (type)))
int *table;
struct whatnot *foo;
table = new (117,int);
foo = new (1,struct whatnot);
         Niels J|rgen Kruse
Email    njk@diku.dk
Mail     Tustrupvej 7, 2 tv, 2720 Vanlose, Denmark