[comp.lang.c] Ada vs. C, Pascal, Modula-2....

rick@bnrunix.UUCP (Richard Johns X7191) (05/25/89)

I'm looking for performance comparisons between Ada and other high-level
languages (and C).  We're porting a set of tools written in a proprietary form
of modular Pascal to a different platform, and Ada seems to be the closest
language.  However, we still need something we can wave under the sceptics'
noses that shows that Ada code can perform comparably.

The new platform is HP9000/3xx, but I'll take any input.  Thanks.

Rick Johns
BNR

cmaidt@p8.f30.n147.z1.FIDONET.ORG (cmaidt) (05/29/89)

In a message of <26 May 89 21:47:22>, Greg Trotter (1:147/30.3) writes:

 >Modula-2 is very close to Pascal; it's probably very close to the
 >propriatary dialect you currently use. I fell in love with it after a few
 >weeks; it closes up a lot of the "gaps" that hindered serious programming
 >in Pascal.

Try Turbo Pascal 5.5 ... it's object oriented, and may actually make Pascal a
worthwhile language ... :*).

--
cmaidt - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!uokmax!metnet!30.8!cmaidt