[comp.lang.c] Wanted: Info on C standards

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (06/01/89)

  I need info on the ANSI standard for 'C'. What is the offical
document called and where can I obtain it??

I also need info on C++. Is there an ANSI standard for it?? If so,
where can I get a copy of it??

I also need to know if there is an ANSI standard for UNIX?? If not,
then where can I go to get the differences between AT&T System V
and Berkely UNIX??

I am writing an in-house paper describing the issue of porting
C code from VMS to UNIX. I am in the paper gathering stage and I need
access to offical documents. AGCS does have a library that can
order standards for me, but I need to give the Library names,
etc.

I am also interesting in collecting lit on C++ and other neat
things.

Please send email to
gtephx!covertr

Or call me at
(602) 581-4652

I appreciate any help!!

Richard Covert

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/01/89)

In article <438eb738.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>  I need info on the ANSI standard for 'C'. What is the offical
>document called and where can I obtain it??

There isn't yet an officially approved standard.  It should be called
ANSI X3.159-1989 (assuming it is approved this year as expected).
The "final draft" was prepared by X3J11 and mailed to its members and
registered observers a few months ago; there is a chance you can obtain
a copy from Global Engineering Documents (I don't have their phone
number handy).

>I also need info on C++. Is there an ANSI standard for it?? If so,
>where can I get a copy of it??

There is not even a draft of an official standard for C++ at this time.

>I also need to know if there is an ANSI standard for UNIX?? If not,
>then where can I go to get the differences between AT&T System V
>and Berkely UNIX??

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T, who have published a "System V
Interface Definition" (SVID) in several volumes.  There are some more
or less official standards for UNIX-compatible system interfaces etc.;
the most official of these is IEEE Std 1003.1 (the first of several
"POSIX" specifications), available from IEEE.

Differences between BSD and UNIX System V are legion, and have been
described in numerous articles including one by Chambers and Quarterman
in one of the USENIX Proceedings.  The forthcoming UNIX System V Release
4.0 is supposed to incorporate a high degree of BSD compatibility.

walter@hpclwjm.HP.COM (Walter Murray) (06/02/89)

Doug Gwyn:

> There isn't yet an officially approved standard.  It should be called
> ANSI X3.159-1989 (assuming it is approved this year as expected).
> The "final draft" was prepared by X3J11 and mailed to its members and
> registered observers a few months ago; there is a chance you can obtain
> a copy from Global Engineering Documents (I don't have their phone
> number handy).

The phone number is (800) 854-7179.

Walter Murray
-------------

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (06/04/89)

In article <10352@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <438eb738.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>>  I need info on the ANSI standard for 'C'. What is the offical
>>document called and where can I obtain it??

>There isn't yet an officially approved standard.  It should be called
>ANSI X3.159-1989 (assuming it is approved this year as expected).
>The "final draft" was prepared by X3J11 and mailed to its members and
>registered observers a few months ago; there is a chance you can obtain
>a copy from Global Engineering Documents (I don't have their phone
>number handy).

I thought I had one of their business cards, but....  However, the
'phone book indicates the telephone number is (714) 261-1455.  The
listed address is

	Global Engineering Documents
	2805 McGaw Ave.
	Irvine, CA  92715

Their catalog lists a variety of ANSI (and other) standards, so I
suspect that they intend to sell copies of the officially approved
version of the standard -- however, I hardly qualify as a spokesman for
them (or anyone else).  (If they *do* sell copies of the officially
approved version, I sincerely hope the quality of the copy is somewhat
better than that of the drafts....)

david
--
David H. Wolfskill