[comp.lang.c] Blair Does Pointers

hamish@unisoft.UUCP (Hamish Reid) (05/20/89)

In article after article bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes
on and on about adding pointers in C, etc, gratuitously insulting vast
swathes of people and several individuals along the way, and very
publically displaying an extraordinary level of ignorance about C,
formal semantics, and even fairly basic logic.

Blair, you never *did* answer the questions, nor rise to the challenge.
It's clear to many of us that you don't even understand what
constitutes an answer in this context.  I guess we just have to assume
that getting your name up in bright USENET lights any way you can
(Fame!! Nerd Heaven!!) is more important to you than learning something
from those who initially took the time to patiently explain what was
wrong about your posting, or than rising to what was at that time a
fairly good-natured challenge to see if you *could* make something
sensible out of your suggestions.

Blair, I'll be polite about it: you are so far out of your depth that
any amount of ad hominem attacks and pathetic handwaving aren't going
to stop you from drowning this time. Sometimes people are either humble
enough or smart enough to realise at the last moment that they are out
of their depth; in your case, you are not even capable of this. Your
ignorance is self-referential.

Congratulations. In something like 6 years of reading comp.lang.c and
its earlier equivalents, you are the first person I have *ever* put
into my kill file.

	Bye.

In article <2057@unisoft.UUCP> hamish@unisoft.UUCP (Hamish Reid) writes:
...about li'l ol' me:

>Congratulations. In something like 6 years of reading comp.lang.c and
>its earlier equivalents, you are the first person I have *ever* put
>into my kill file.
>
>	Bye.

My dearest Hamish:

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to your unfounded invectives
sooner, but I've been out of the paradigm for a couple of weeks.

I'm not sorry that you can't take a little conjecture from someone who
desires not to get into the morass of details involved in language design.

I'm sure you never did present a rational reason for opposing the
addition of pointers, and at this point in time (and cliche'), I really
don't care if you do.  You won't see this anyway, so it's academic, and
more so than usual.

				--Blair
				  "Another pedant bites the dust."

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/06/89)

According to bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
>I'm not sorry that you can't take a little conjecture from someone who
>desires not to get into the morass of details involved in language design.

Hamish is missing all the fun; I wouldn't put Blair in my kill file for
money.  His (or is it her? I forget) postings all boil down to:

    "Explain it to me, but don't bother me with details!"

Blair P. Houghton, thy name is Ignorance.  Bear it with pride.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!