[comp.lang.c] Pound sign

clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive) (05/03/89)

In article <630@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Another person writes:
>>but always, at the top of my routines, I:
>>	pound include studio-h (dancers might include studio-54 :->)

The character that looks like:

  |  |
--+--+--
  |  |
--+--+--
  |  |

is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:

       --
      /
  ---+---

(or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
saying:
       dollar include stood eye oh dot aitch
(I actually say "hash include ...") ?
--
Clive D.W. Feather           clive@ixi.uucp
IXI Limited                  ...!mcvax!ukc!acorn!ixi!clive (untested)

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (05/04/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
>The character that looks like:

    <graphic of character variously called pound, number, hash deleted>

>is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
>A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:

    <graphic of character denoting pounds sterling deleted>

>(or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
>saying:
>       dollar include stood eye oh dot aitch
>(I actually say "hash include ...") ?

The reason the '#' character is called 'pound' is because it has been
used to denote a _weight_ in pounds, i.e., 16#, 20#, etc. The
character you call a 'pound sign' is properly a 'pounds sterling
sign', and denotes an amount of money, just as the "Y with an equals
through the upright" is a 'yen sign' and also refers to an amount of
money. And a Sudanese pound is referred to as 'SdL', so 'L' would be a
'pound sign' in Sudan for precisely the same reason you claim. Is the
British claim to a specific character any better than the Sudanese claim?

In usage in America, the '#' sign is called a 'pound sign' through
common application. @BEGIN(FLAME) And if you're so bloody righteous
about using the proper terminology for characters, why couldn't you
take the trouble to determine that the _correct_ name for the '#'
character is 'octothorp'? @END(FLAME)

 Sean Malloy					| "The proton absorbs a photon
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center	| and emits two morons, a
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800			| lepton, a boson, and a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil				| boson's mate. Why did I ever

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (05/04/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
>The character that looks like: [...]
>is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.

The UK has now been metric long enough that some of its citizens have
forgotten that there are two types of "pounds" - sterling and
avoirdupois. In other words, the following are both legal and mean
different things -

    3{hash-mark} of flour - about a kilo and a half
    3{script-L} of flour - depends on the price you paid

Even the CCITT, that most European of bodies (they once defined a
"country" to be no more than 1500km from end to end - about the N-S
length of Italy), recognizes that the symbol it would prefer to have
translated as 'square' has various names - I think they mention 'pound
sign' as one of them.

>Clive D.W. Feather           clive@ixi.uucp
>IXI Limited                  ...!mcvax!ukc!acorn!ixi!clive (untested)
>                             +44 223 462 131

				Peter Desnoyers
				desnoyer@apple.com

wyatt@cfatst.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (05/04/89)

From article <147@ixi.UUCP>, by clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive):
> The character that looks like:
>
>   |  |
> --+--+--
>   |  |
> --+--+--
>   |  |

> is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
> A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
>
>        --
>       /
>   ---+---
>   ---+---
>     /
>   -------
>
> (or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
> saying:
>        dollar include stood eye oh dot aitch
> (I actually say "hash include ...") ?

Well, that's not a very good rendition of a cursive L with two lines
through it...

But anyway, the character is formally called an `octothorp'. By the
way, it IS commonly used in the US as a `pound' sign. I agree that
`hash' may be more widely understood.

Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
    UUCP :  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
    ARPA:   wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu
    SPAN:   cfa::wyatt                 BITNET: wyatt@cfa

Tim_CDC_Roberts@cup.portal.com (05/04/89)

In <147@ixi.UUCP>, From: clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive)
>In article <630@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>>Another person writes:
>>>but always, at the top of my routines, I:
>>>     pound include studio-h (dancers might include studio-54 :->)
> ... a "number" sign or a "hash" sign...is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
> A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note...

I believe you are mildly mistaken, Clive.  Referring to the musical sharp
symbol as "pound sign" has the same early commercial roots as referring to
the circled-A (@) as "at sign".  Your early grocers would write up:

    5# apples @ 9c  ....   $0.45

which is read "5 pounds apples at 9 cents...45 cents."  Thus, "pound" refers
to "pounds avoirdupois" rather than "pounds sterling".

This usage has fallen into disuse, because today's cash registers ring up:

    5.03 lbs    @   0.98 / lb
    Red Delicious ..............     4.92

Tim_CDC_Roberts@cup.portal.com                | Control Data...
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!tim_cdc_roberts |   ...or it will control you.

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/05/89)

             |  |
           --+--+--
             |  |
           --+--+--
             |  |

This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
"hash", etc.

"Pound sign" is undesirable because people often confuse between weight
and money in this context.  "Number sign" is not universal because not
everybody uses this sign to mean numbers.  (I didn't until I came to
the USA, and even now I prefer to spell it out as "number" or
abbreviate it to "no." or "no".)

"Crosshatch" and "hash" are somewhat descriptive, but not enough.  A
"crosshatch" pattern is composed of lots of lines, not just four.  A
"hash" is too vague.

There is only one meaning for this figure that is universal the world
over, and recognizable by every child.  This is the tic-tac-toe game,
also called noughts and crosses.

The correct name for this figure is therefore the "tac sign" or just
the "tac".  (Cobol programmers may prefer the full name "tic-tac-toe
sign.")

This name is especially appropriate because the tic-tac-toe game, like
the argument about what this sign should be called, seldom ends in
anything but a draw.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (05/05/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
:The character that looks like:
:
:  |  |
:--+--+--
:  |  |
:--+--+--
:  |  |
:
:is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
:A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:

The real name of that symbol may not be 'pound', but you'd find most
programmers refer to it as pound.

After all, pound-include sounds better than number-include :-)

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- derek@hsi.com      ...!yale!hsi!derek                      |

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (05/05/89)

In article <1558@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> wyatt@cfatst.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt) writes:

>But anyway, the character is formally called an `octothorp'.

That's been hashed around on the telecom groups several times, and the
conclusion seems to be that 'octothorpe' is a term that was used for a
few years by Bell Telephone and then dropped since no one else used it.

				Peter Desnoyers

clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive) (05/05/89)

Boy, have I started something!
I apologise to the readership if the pound/hash/octothorpe stuff has been
all done before.

In article <1868@skinner.nprdc.arpa> malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:
>The reason the '#' character is called 'pound' is because it has been
>used to denote a _weight_ in pounds, i.e., 16#, 20#, etc.
I had never met this usage until described in an e-mail message this
morning.

>The character you call a 'pound sign' is properly a 'pounds sterling
>sign', and denotes an amount of money, just as the "Y with an equals
>through the upright" is a 'yen sign' and also refers to an amount of
>money. And a Sudanese pound is referred to as 'SdL', so 'L' would be a
>'pound sign' in Sudan for precisely the same reason you claim. Is the
>British claim to a specific character any better than the Sudanese claim?
And in Italy they use the same graphic for "Lire" (or is it "Lira" ?).
No :-)

>In usage in America, the '#' sign is called a 'pound sign' through
>common application. @BEGIN(FLAME) And if you're so bloody righteous
>about using the proper terminology for characters, why couldn't you
>take the trouble to determine that the _correct_ name for the '#'
>character is 'octothorp'? @END(FLAME)
#ifdef FLAME_QUENCHING
1) Because octothorp is a ex-Bellism that no-one ever uses.
2) Because this is an X-Window System environment, and to quote from the
X standards:
"To the best of our knowledge, ... are from the appropriate ISO or ECMA
international standards."
"035    NUMBER SIGN"
"036    DOLLAR SIGN"
"162    CENT SIGN"
"163    POUND SIGN"
"164    CURRENCY SIGN"
"165    YEN SIGN"
Not an octothorp in sight. Currency sign I have variously seen rendered
as a circle with four legs, and as a three-legged swastika (similar to
the Isle of Man symbol).
#endif /* FLAME_QUENCHING */
--

apm@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Merritt) (05/05/89)

/ hpopd:comp.lang.c / desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) /  5:22 pm  May  4, 1989 /
>>In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
>>The character that looks like: [...]
>>is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.

>The UK has now been metric long enough that some of its citizens have
>forgotten that there are two types of "pounds" - sterling and
>avoirdupois.
Not true: the pound weight is in common daily use in the UK.  We just don't use
the octothorp character to denote it.  The common denotation of a pound weight
is 'lb' as in 2lb for 2 pounds.  I thought the octothorp meant 'number' in US
usage.

Andrew

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (05/06/89)

in article <147@ixi.UUCP>, clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive) says:
[drawing deleted]
> is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
> A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
[drawing deleted]
> (or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
> saying:
[stuff about curency deleted... incidently *we* use dollar sign
all the time "$"...]

Wrong-o! the "#" has a real name: octalthorpe <even if i cant spell
it this phonetic representation should do> it is also *correctly*
called the "number sign" and "pound sign".

Just because you (culutrally) have chosen to use a strange unit
name for your currency dson't mean that every refrence to that
unit refres to your curency.  The symbol you inaccurately claim
to mean "pound" is (more correctly) "pound sterling" or "british
pound", there are less spesific uses of "pound" then the britsh
(extraction?) currency [e.g. a ten pound bag of sugar, four pounds
of this, 22000 punds of that].

Where ever units of weight (not spesifically related to currency)
are being discussed in the "english" system [i think that is the real
name] the symbol "#" MEANS POUND!

Rob.

(pet peves based on inaccuracy are just stoopid)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/06/89)

#
# The character that looks like:
#
#   |  |
# --+--+--
#   |  |
# --+--+--
#   |  |
#
# is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.

Nonsense.  It's an "octothorpe".  (My posting is no more nitpicky
than your posting).

--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

apc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Alan P. Curtis) (05/06/89)

In article <7104@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
}
}             |  |
}           --+--+--
}             |  |
}           --+--+--
}             |  |
}
}There is only one meaning for this figure that is universal the world
}over, and recognizable by every child.  This is the tic-tac-toe game,
}also called noughts and crosses.
}
}The correct name for this figure is therefore the "tac sign" or just
}the "tac".

Oh, but I know the game (as you mention) as noughts and crosses, so
your "proof" is defeated, by your proof...

apc
--
Alan P. Curtis | AT&T Bell Labs | apc@cblpe.ATT.COM

carlp@frigg.iscs.com (Carl Paukstis) (05/06/89)

I seem to remember taking a poll a couple of years ago, partly to draw
the "how do you pronounce 'char'" discussion AWAY from comp.lang.c and
into rec.humor.

With this repost of the results, I hope to again see the death of this
subject thread, thank you.

============== reprinted (edited) from: ==============
==Date: 30 Oct 87 22:26:27 GMT

I had 37 responses; the pronunciations are listed in order of frequency
mentioned among those responses, most common first.

! = bang | shriek | ballbat | pling
* = star | splat | asterisk
$ = dollar | dollar sign | ding | string
# = sharp | pound | hash | number | gardengate | gate | oof | octoharp
\ = backslash | bash | reverse virgule
. = dot | point | period
- = dash | minus | hyphen
^ = caret | hat | up-arrow | boink
? = question mark | huh | question | query | kwes | quiz | quark
= = equals | gets
| = or | bar | pipe | tube | mark | whack
@ = at | snable-a (note 3)
% = percent | shift-5 | grape
+ = plus
_ = underscore | underline | underbar
& = and | ampersand | amper | donald duck (note 1)
( = left paren | paren | open paren | left banana | banana
) = right paren | close paren | right banana | banana | thesis
{ = left curly brace | left brace | open brace | open curly bracket | brace
    | left Tuborg (note 2) | open curly brace | curly brace
} = right curly brace | close brace | close curly bracket
    | right Tuborg (note 2) | close curly brace | uncurly brace
[ = left bracket | open bracket | bracket | open square bracket
    | edged parenthesis begin (note 3)
] = right bracket | close bracket | close square bracket | unbracket
    | edged parenthesis end (note 3)
~ = twiddle | squiggle | tilde | tildee
< = less than | left angle bracket | sucks (note 4) | in arrow
> = greater that | right angle bracket | blows (note 4) | out arrow
` = back tick | back ping | back quote | accent grave
' = tick | ping | quote | single quote
" = quote | double quote | double ping
/ = slash | virgule
: = colon
; = semicolon
, = comma

Notes:
1)  From Danish "Anders And", sounds like ampersand, means Donald Duck.
2)  From the advertising for a well-known beverage (Danish).
3)  Imported from Denmark, your mileage may vary.
4)  As in "cat sucks stdin, blows stdout".

==============

Can we go back to C now, please?

--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"         |  DOMAIN:   carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM
    <political message goes here>         |  UUCP:     ...uunet!iscuva!carlp
                                          |  GEnie: carlp         BIX: carlp
I speak for myself, not my employer.      |  Ma Bell:  +1 509 927 5600 x5321

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/06/89)

In article <7104@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
=
=             |  |
=           --+--+--
=             |  |
=           --+--+--
=             |  |
=
=This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
="hash", etc.
=
	<examples omitted>

=The correct name for this figure is therefore the "tac sign" or just
=the "tac".  (Cobol programmers may prefer the full name "tic-tac-toe
=sign.")
=
From the (universal) world of music comes the name "sharp" for the "#" symbol.
sharp include ess tee dee eye oh dot aitch.  Hmmmm.
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College				CompuServe: 70240,334

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/06/89)

Well, as long as the net bandwidth has already been saturated with this,
please note that a sharp symbol is visually distinct from an octothorpe.

news@omepd.UUCP (News Account) (05/06/89)

--------
From: mcg@mipon2.intel.com (Steven McGeady)

In article <7104@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
>"hash", etc.
>
>The correct name for this figure is therefore ... the "tac".

Isn't there anyone other than me (and the other late-70's hackers at Reed)
who call the '#' a "sharp"?  This name is unique and has precedent and
broad acceptance in another field.

S. McGeady

news@ism780c.isc.com (News system) (05/06/89)

In article <30104@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <1558@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> wyatt@cfatst.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt) writes:
>>
>>But anyway, the character is formally called an `octothorp'.
>
>That's been hashed around on the telecom groups several times, and the
>conclusion seems to be that 'octothorpe' is a term that was used for a
>few years by Bell Telephone and then dropped since no one else used it.
>
>				Peter Desnoyers

Believe it or not, there is a document for ANSII.  It gives the names for
each of the characters in the character set.  Some examples:

      #  pound sign
      ^  circumflex
      \  reverse slant
      _  underline
      ~  overline (or tilda)
      `  accent grave
      @  comercial at sign

   Marv Rubinstein

mat@mole-end.UUCP (Mark A Terribile) (05/06/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP>, clive@ixi.UUCP (Clive) writes:
> >>	pound include studio-h (dancers might include studio-54 :->)

> The character that looks like [ # ]

> is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
> A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:

 >      --
 >     /
 > ---+---
 > ---+---
 >   /
 > -------

> (or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
> saying:
>        dollar include stood eye oh dot aitch

Sorry, Clive.  I have before me Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Eighth
Edition.  It is open to the section on ``Signs and Symbols.''  Under the
heading ``Business'' I find

	#  number if it precedes a number <track #3>; pounds
	   if it follows <a 5# sack of sugar>

In other words, it's pounds aviordupois, not pounds sterling.

The usage is legitimate, although perhaps we should write

	include#

and

	if#

The late Ma Bell would have liked us to call it an octothorpe--in fact, I
think in some parts of AT&T they still call it that when it appears on a
Touch-Tone (is that still a registered Service and Trade Mark?) telephone set.
I can tell you that the announcements built into some of their products
instruct the user to ``Press five, followed by the Pound Sign.''
--

(This man's opinions are his own.)
From mole-end				Mark Terribile

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (05/06/89)

I just thought I should give my $0.02 worth.  Why don't we just pronounce it

as: "ASCII-THIRTY-FIVE"   ???????????????????????????????????????????????

(Or where applicapleble: EBDIC-whatever)

--
To quote Alfred E. Neuman: "What! Me worry????"

Internet:	einari@rhi.hi.is
UUCP:		..!mcvax!hafro!rhi!einari

emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) (05/07/89)

Here are a few other (humorous, I hope) names for characters:

 !    excl, exclam, bang, shriek, wow.
 "    Rabbit ears.
 #    Hash mark, mesh, splat, crunch, pigpen.
 $    Dollar.
 %    Doubleohseven.
 &    Ampersand. (This one is already so silly that no slang term is needed!)
 '    Single quote, forward quote, spark.
 (    Wax.
 ( )    Parens (seperatly called just OPEN and CLOSE).
 )    Wane.
 *    Star, splat. (sometime "gear" because it looks like a little cogwheel)
 +    Intersection.
 ,    Tail.
     Worm.
 .    Period, dot, point, spot.
 /    Slash, forward slash, slat.
 :    Twospot.
 ;    SEMI.
 <    Angle. (The two character arrow "<" or ">" is called "angleworm")
 <    Less than, left ANGLE BRACKET, left BROKET.
 =    Equals, halfmesh.
 >    Greater than, right ANGLE BRACKET, right BROKET.
 >    Right angle.
 ?    QUES, query.
 ?    What.
 @    Atsign, at, whirlpool.
 [    U turn, Insquare.
 \    Backslash, backslat, virgule.
 ]    U turn back, Outsquare.
 ^    Caret. ("uparrow" obsolete), shark. (or simply "shark fin"), uptick.
 _    Backarrow, Underbar, flatworm.
 `    Backquote, backspark.
 {    Embrace, Curly.
 }    Bracelet, Larry.
 { }    Curly braces, curly brackets, SQUIGGLE BRACKETS.
 |    Spike, vertical bar, pipe.
 ~    TWIDDLE, SQUIGGLE, SQIGGLE.

 		lse
		"No sig's enough sig for me"

Chris.Maidt@p8.f30.n147.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Maidt) (05/08/89)

 RD>              |  |
 RD>            --+--+--
 RD>              |  |
 RD>            --+--+--
 RD>              |  |
 RD>
 RD> This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
 RD> "hash", etc.

It is commonly refered to as an octathorpe (sp).

--
Chris Maidt - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!uokmax!metnet!30.8!Chris.Maidt

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (05/08/89)

> Believe it or not, there is a document for ANSII.

As I said a few weeks ago, please do not confuse these similar acronyms:

ASCII - the character set (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)
ANSI  - the standards body (American National Standards Institute)
ANS   - an ANSI standard (American National Standard)

There is no ANSII.

Yes, there is an ANS for ASCII.  Specifically, it's ANS X3.4-1977.

And where you say...			It actually has...

>       #  pound sign			Number Sign
>       ^  circumflex			Circumflex
>       \  reverse slant		Reverse Slant
>       _  underline			Underline
>       ~  overline (or tilda)		Tilde
>       `  accent grave			Opening Single Quotation Mark (Grave
								Accent)
>       @  comercial at sign		Commercial At

I'd like to cite this in support of what Clive Feather said to start
this flame war, since my position is the same as his, but to be consistent
I'd then have to start pronouncing the character \ as "reverse slant",
and somehow I don't care to do so.

Please, people.  This is a simple issue of religion and NOT FOR COMP.LANG.C!

--
Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		"Remember the Golgafrinchans"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com					-- Pete Granger

This article is in the public domain.

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (05/08/89)

In article <954@krafla.rhi.hi.is> einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) writes:

>I just thought I should give my $0.02 worth.  Why don't we just pronounce it

You mean your                    #0.01 worth   :-)

>as: "ASCII-THIRTY-FIVE"   ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Speaking of which, how do you pronounce ASCII?  I always thought that
was what you put in the lock to get into your girlfriend's apartment.
(Stolen from some published source long ago...)

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for

hugh@ecrcvax.UUCP (Hugh Grant) (05/08/89)

In article <30092@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
>>The character that looks like: [...]
>>is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
>
>The UK has now been metric long enough that some of its citizens have
>forgotten that there are two types of "pounds" - sterling and
>avoirdupois. In other words, the following are both legal and mean
>different things -

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. Pounds (weight) as well as the other
"imperial" measurements are still widespread.

>    3{hash-mark} of flour - about a kilo and a half
>    3{script-L} of flour - depends on the price you paid

The more usual symbol for a pound is "lb". I have never seen a hash-mark
used as a pound-weight symbol outside of the US.

(Does this really have anything to do with C? How about a "units" group? :-)
--
Hugh Grant, ICL ITC.			hugh@ecrcvax.uucp
currently at: European Computer-Industry Research Centre, Arabellstr. 17, Munich

mark@drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) (05/08/89)

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) wrote:
[graphic elided]
} This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
} "hash", etc.

What about "sharp"?

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (05/08/89)

In article <1334@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>Just because you (culutrally) have chosen to use a strange unit
>name for your currency dson't mean that every refrence to that
>unit refres to your curency.

Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
the ones with the strange units.

				Yours for cultural kulturny,
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu

dbrooks@osf.OSF.ORG (David Brooks) (05/09/89)

In article <27109@ism780c.isc.com> marv@ism780.UUCP (Marvin Rubenstein) writes:

>Believe it or not, there is a document for ANSII.  It gives the names for
>each of the characters in the character set.  Some examples:
>
>      #  pound sign
>      ^  circumflex
>      \  reverse slant
>      _  underline
>      ~  overline (or tilda)
>      `  accent grave
>      @  comercial at sign
>
>   Marv Rubinstein

Damn.  I lost my ASCII definition (X3.4).  But in the newer ANS 7-bit
and 8-bit multilingual graphic character set standard it says:

	#		NUMBER SIGN

And in ISO646, the international equivalent to X3.4:

	<curly-L>	POUND SIGN
	#		NUMBER SIGN

I lived in England for 33 years, and I never ever ever ever saw # used
for pounds weight -- always lb.  I still find # = pound mildly
irritating, but I defer to Websters for American usage.

My theory was that the confusion arises from this very ISO standard,
which allows 2/3 to be either # or pound-sterling.  Consequently some
British teletypes (yes, I did say 33 years) put pound sterling on the
shift-3 key, and -- well, you can imagine the rest.  But this theory
has had cold water poured on it by the originator of the question.

If you are reading this on such an ancient British teletype, you are
by now very confused.
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (05/09/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:

 >The character that looks like:
 >      #
 >is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
 >A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
 > etc.

Sorry Clive, but your culture is showing!  You can't blame this one on
US insensitivity etc etc.....

Sterling is not the only sort of "pounds", and the N. American naming of "#"
has nothing to do with monetary units!!

The fact that the pound sign appears on a US keyboard where the sterling symbol
appears on a British keyboard (shift-3) is purely coincidental and, although
adding wonderfully to the confusion, believe me or nay, has *nothing* to do
with it being called "pound"!
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ..!uunet!philmtl!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.     | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext: 2347

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (05/09/89)

In article <782@osf.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>I lived in England for 33 years, and I never ever ever ever saw # used
>for pounds weight -- always lb.  I still find # = pound mildly
>irritating, but I defer to Websters for American usage.

I think using # for weight is probably an American tradition. I'm from
a Commonwealth country, and like you, I've never used # for weight. We always
used lbs.

Before I started College in the US (3 years ago), I always called the symbol
'#' hash. Since I've been here, I've been calling it a pound.

All of these discussions seem rather pointless. If I were to say, type
a hash, or a pound, or a number sign, everyone would know what I meant, even
though we all have our prefered name for it.

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- derek@hsi.com      ...!yale!hsi!derek                      |

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (05/09/89)

In article <18.24657354@metnet.FIDONET.ORG> Chris.Maidt@p8.f30.n147.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Maidt) writes:
- RD>              |  |
- RD>            --+--+--
- RD>              |  |
- RD>            --+--+--
- RD>              |  |
- RD> This is often mislabelled as "pound sign", "number sign", "crosshatch",
- RD> "hash", etc.
-
-It is commonly refered to as an octathorpe (sp).

I would hate to be reading my code and have to say 'octathorpe include' whenever
I was reading '#include'

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (05/09/89)

In article <4080002@hpopd.HP.COM> apm@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Merritt) writes:
>/ hpopd:comp.lang.c / desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) /  5:22 pm  May  4, 1989 /
>>The UK has now been metric long enough that some of its citizens have
>>forgotten that there are two types of "pounds" - sterling and
>>avoirdupois.
>Not true: the pound weight is in common daily use in the UK.  We just don't use
>the octothorp character to denote it.  The common denotation of a pound weight
>is 'lb' as in 2lb for 2 pounds.  I thought the octothorp meant 'number' in US
>usage.

The usage of '#' for 'pounds' stems from the early transaction-tape
cash registers, which used adding machine internals for printing the
register tape. The adding machine print hardware was only capable of
printing the numeric digits and a limited selection of other
characters -- add, subtract, multiply, divide, the '#' character to
indicate a total. Because they needed a character to indicate pounds
weight, and the '#' character wasn't being used for anything else, it
was drafted into use as the 'pound character'. Other cash register
manufacturers copied the usage, and it spread into common use.

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (05/10/89)

In article <8905081532.AA02862@beaches.hub.toronto.edu> thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) writes:

>Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
>those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
>the ones with the strange units.

The Thaler was a troy ounce of silver, of greater purity than the
Sterling pound of silver.  The U.S.A. didn't choose a strange unit,
just a strange spelling.  And they've only inflated it 30 times
(i.e. down to 3.3 original cents) instead of 100 times.

--

scm@datlog.co.uk ( Steve Mawer ) (05/10/89)

In article <1334@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>Where ever units of weight (not spesifically related to currency)
>are being discussed in the "english" system [i think that is the real
>name] the symbol "#" MEANS POUND!

But not, of course, in England.   Whose language is it anyway? :-)

--
Steve C. Mawer        <scm@datlog.co.uk> or < {backbone}!ukc!datlog!scm >
                       Voice:  +44 1 863 0383 (x2153)

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (05/10/89)

:-)
Why don't we all call the # for an ESATVEL being EqualSignAndTwoVErticalLines
:-)

No, lets' stop it.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Europe         \ /    "Hofstadter's Law:  It always takes
Domain: bengsig@oracle.nl           / \     take into account Hofstadter's Law"

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/10/89)

>>Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
>>those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
>>the ones with the strange units.

Yen means circular, presumably after the shape of coins. If you find
yourself in possession of a large quantity of yen and are repulsed by
having money not named after a unit of weight, I'll be happy to releave
you of your burden, and I won't charge you for doing so. :)

I'll take the "strange" yen AND THE ECONOMY BEHIND IT over peso, lira,
pounds, or dollars and the economies associated with each.

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (05/11/89)

In article <8905081532.AA02862@beaches.hub.toronto.edu> thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) writes:
>In article <1334@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>>Just because you (culutrally) have chosen to use a strange unit
>>name for your currency dson't mean that every refrence to that
>>unit refres to your curency.
>Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
>those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
>the ones with the strange units.

The history of the word 'dollar' is:

There is a valley in Austria, I forget the name, where there was a very
rich silver mine in medieval times. The silver was minted into local coins,
called '<name of valley>talers' (the German word for valley is 'tal').
This was obviously shortened to 'taler'.

The most popular currency in the American colonies was the Spanish
'piece of eight', also called a 'dollar', the englishification of 'taler'.
The fathers of the Constitution merely codified existing practice.

(Ever wonder why a quarter is 'two bits'? Remember a dollar is a 'piece
of eight'?)

This has, of course, absolutely nothing to do with comp.lang.c!

news@ism780c.isc.com (News system) (05/11/89)

In article <4080002@hpopd.HP.COM> apm@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Merritt) writes:
>  I thought the octothorp meant 'number' in US usage.
>
>Andrew

I believe the word 'octothorp' never gained currency.  I could not find it
in any of the four dictionaries that I looked in. (anyone have an OED handy?)

I hope this lays the topic to rest. Quoting form Webster's Ninth New
Collegiate Dictionary:

    #   number if it procedes a numeral <track #3>; pounds if it follows
	<a 5# sack of sugar>

So the way to pronounce #define, is "pound define" (at least in
American Engilish :-)

    Marv Rubinstein

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (05/12/89)

In article <24247@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
: >>Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
: >>those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
: >>the ones with the strange units.
:
: Yen means circular, presumably after the shape of coins. If you find
: yourself in possession of a large quantity of yen and are repulsed by
: having money not named after a unit of weight, I'll be happy to releave
: you of your burden, and I won't charge you for doing so. :)
:
: I'll take the "strange" yen AND THE ECONOMY BEHIND IT over peso, lira,
: pounds, or dollars and the economies associated with each.

There you go, spouting nonsense over the net. According to _The
Economist_, 5 May 1989, p.61:

GDP per         person  person  hour
			employed worked
USA             150     140     130
Canada          140     130     115
W. Germany      110     115     105
Japan           105     95      65
France          105     120     115

	These figures are for 1986 and are approximate as they are
	taken from a bar-like chart. Britain is taken as 100, Italian
	figures are left out due to the uncertainties in the hidden
	economy.

The numbers tell the tale: by any of these measures, the USA was the
most productive of the countries; Japan was either the least
productive or the second least.

Why then do the Japanese do so well in spite of their low
productivity? Well, though they have low productivity per head, they
work more hours. Furthermore, while most of their economy is
amazingly inefficient, their manufacturing sector is anything but.

Note that I'm not putting the Japanese down; the growth figures for
some sectors of their economy are rather impressive. (No, I don't
have the figures handy.) But the idealization of the Japanese economy
that one sees so often is just plain bullshit.

Followups have been directed to talk.politics.misc.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/12/89)

[Assertion that major monetary units are based on weight. Observation
that yen means circular.  Yen represents stronger economy than those
with monetary units named for weight.  Would be economist's assertion
of Japanese economic inefficiency.]

>There you go, spouting nonsense over the net. According to _The
------------------|
I'm impressed at your level of expertise on economic issues, especially
US-Japan comparisons. How did you arrive it at? You seem to know so
much more than I do. My feeble background is BA (economics) 1968, BBA
(corporate finance), PhD Japanese History (1975). Graduate study
University of Tokyo (economics) 1971-1974, 1981-1982, Kobe University
1984-1985 (economics).

[table deleted]

>The numbers tell the tale: by any of these measures, the USA was the

Your faith in numbers is touching. It is also naive. The counting
methods used for developing "hours worked" (actually compensated hours)
tend to inflate Japanese data. Various breaks and non-work time that is
not included in US data is included in the Japanese. Also, the
compensation system is different. White-collar workers up through
management levels are compensated by hourly calculation.

>most productive of the countries; Japan was either the least
>productive or the second least.
>
>Why then do the Japanese do so well in spite of their low
>productivity? Well, though they have low productivity per head, they
>work more hours. Furthermore, while most of their economy is

I seriously doubt this.  Based on six years life in Japan, I never had the
sense that Japanese WORKED long hours.  They are often at the workplace for
long hours, but the fraction of the time spent working is considerably less
than 100 percent, especially in small business, say seventy percent or so.

>amazingly inefficient, their manufacturing sector is anything but.
------|
Compared to what?  The retail sector is certainly less efficient measured
by price of goods.  Whether it is less efficient in an economic sense
depends on the value you attach to service and convenience.

>Note that I'm not putting the Japanese down; the growth figures for
>some sectors of their economy are rather impressive. (No, I don't

GDP (gross domestic product): four times US growth rates for
1950s-1970s, about twice for the 1980s.

>have the figures handy.) But the idealization of the Japanese economy
>that one sees so often is just plain bullshit.

Do I detect a bit of bruised nationalistic sentiment here?

>Followups have been directed to talk.politics.misc.

After you have had the last word? No way! If you find the
subject matter inappropriate to the original group, you should have
posted your own drivel to talk.politics.misc in the first place.

>Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California  95616
916-752-1636 (2300-0800 PDT for FAX)
916-752-0776 (secretary)
ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	(request ucdked, login as guest)

cowan@marob.MASA.COM (John Cowan) (05/13/89)

In article <1977@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>The history of the word 'dollar' is:
>
>There is a valley in Austria, I forget the name, where there was a very
>rich silver mine in medieval times. The silver was minted into local coins,
>called '<name of valley>talers' (the German word for valley is 'tal').

Joachimstal, the (town of the) valley of the River Joachim.

gorpong@teleng.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) (05/14/89)

In article <24357@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ked@garnet.berkeley.edu
	(Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
[...back and forth about Japanese economy vs. American, telling us how long
  he worked in Japan....]
BILL>Followups have been directed to talk.politics.misc.
EARL>
EARL>After you have had the last word? No way! If you find the
EARL>subject matter inappropriate to the original group, you should have
EARL>posted your own drivel to talk.politics.misc in the first place.

I respect the fact that both of you have opinions on things, but I have to
agree with Bill for following up to talk.politics.misc.  I could have really
cared less WHERE he directed followups to, but they certainly do NOT belong
in comp.lang.c.  The economy of Japan, America, Great Britain, etc. ad nauseum,
although interesting, has NOTHING to do with the C language.  If I am thinking
correctly, comp.lang.c stands for discussions/questions/etc on the C
programming language, not on economics lessons.  Can we please stop both of
your drivel on this thread in this group!?  :-(.

Don't flame me for this, it's not worth it.  (Do it by mail, not news, please).

		-- Gordon.
Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ...!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> gorpong@teleng.uucp.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|> "Captain, I hardly believe that insults are within your
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|> prerogative as my commanding officer" - Spock
(216) 867-3700 (3512)<|>   (City on the Edge of Forever (Starring Joan Collins))

stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) (05/14/89)

In article <147@ixi.UUCP> clive@ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
 The character that looks like:
   |  |
 --+--+--
   |  |
 --+--+--
   |  |
 is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
 A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
        --
       /
   ---+---
   ---+---
     /
   -------
 [end of extracted text from previous article]

   Sorry, you're wrong on statement 1 and right on statement 2.  Both of
the above symbols (BTW, congrats on managing to draw them in ASCII ... no
mean feat) _are_ pound signs, although a multitude of other names exist
for the first one.

   Now that we've cleared that up, let's get back to discussing C rather
than discussing what we call the little glyphs we use to represent
information.  If you want more information on such symbols, check out
your local library - I'm sure it will contain enough descriptions of
alphabets to satisfy most everybody.
! Stephen M. Dunn              stephen@ziebmef.UUCP ! DISCLAIMER:  Who'd ever !
! Take off to the Great White North eh, ya hosehead ! claim such dumb ideas?  !

gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) (05/17/89)

In article <27310@ism780c.isc.com> marv@ism780.UUCP (Marvin Rubenstein) writes:
>In article <4080002@hpopd.HP.COM> apm@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Merritt) writes:
>>  I thought the octothorp meant 'number' in US usage.
>I believe the word 'octothorp' never gained currency.  I could not find it
>in any of the four dictionaries that I looked in. (anyone have an OED handy?)

I had a look in the Shorter OED (and Ency. Britannia) which give no definition
for # (but then I could be looking in the wrong areas).  Pound is Sterling
when used with the scripted L character (with two horizontal lines).

In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
and not the single line on my keyboard.

I always thought it was hash include (or even just include).

Regards

Ian Stewartson
Data Logic Ltd.

In article <2015@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
>In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
>and not the single line on my keyboard.

This is misc.misc material, but I don't dare open that floodgate...
we'd be discussing how David is doing under that mountain of postcards
within the week.

Okay.  Look at a T-bill.  Don't got one?  neither do I.  It was a joke.
Look close at the old-style federal checks (is it on the new one), although
my description should be enough:  that S// sort of $ is actually an S
with a U drawn over it.  The rest is the history of degenerated graphics.

				--Blair
				  "And here are all these loons
				   writing alphabetics with meaningless
				   slashes through them just to copy..."

In article <2015@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk>, gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
> In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
> and not the single line on my keyboard.

The US dollar is supposed to have 2 vertical lines (it's derived from
overstriking U and S). The dollar symbol with one vertical line is actually
the Australian dollar sign (derived from overprinting A and S and deciding
that it looks too much like the US dollar sign, and so simplifying it).

All rather academic at this point.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (05/20/89)

In article <4238@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
In article <2015@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk>, gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:

>> In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
>> and not the single line on my keyboard.

That is correct.  Some makers of typewriters (remember those?) and
newspaper typefaces (remember those?) decided that it was too much
effort to engrave two parallel bars so close to each other, so they'd
save a few pennies per typewriter (or how much per newspaper) by
simplifying the graphic.  Unfortunately that has spread.  The
foreigner's symbol for yen, and the symbol for Filipino peso, still
include two parallel bars, though the underlying character is not S.
I believe that the $ symbol for peso in Mexico and other places (I
think Spain) might still have two bars.

>The US dollar is supposed to have 2 vertical lines

Yes.

>(it's derived from overstriking U and S).

No.  When the $ symbol was copied, the concept of "United States" had
not been invented yet.

>The dollar symbol with one vertical line is actually
>the Australian dollar sign (derived from overprinting A and S and deciding
>that it looks too much like the US dollar sign, and so simplifying it).

That's cute.  No one else was afraid that their currency symbol looked
too much like peso.

>All rather academic at this point.

Yes.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-implementing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?

pmb@swituc.UUCP (Pat Berry) (05/20/89)

I, for one, have to pay to receive news.  I expect C-related articles,
not your incessant ravings about what to call a pound sign.  MOVE THAT
CR.P ELSEWHERE!!! (or pay my logon bills)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/24/89)

In article <2910@buengc.BU.EDU>, bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> In article <2015@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
# #In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
# #and not the single line on my keyboard.
#
# Look close at the old-style federal checks (is it on the new one), although
# my description should be enough:  that S// sort of $ is actually an S
# with a U drawn over it.  The rest is the history of degenerated graphics.
#
# 				--Blair

When my father was in school 1916-1928, he was taught to write a
dollar sign as "U" on top of "S".
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Assault rifle possession is a victimless crime.

pat@mirror.TMC.COM (06/01/89)

Hash is something that you eat in the morning.

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (06/08/89)

In article <236100016@mirror> pat@mirror.TMC.COM writes:

>Hash is something that you eat in the morning.

Or smoke, if you're so fortunate as to live in the Netherlands ...

-- richard

--
 *    "We must hang together, gentlemen ... else, we shall most assuredly     *
 *     hang separately."         Benjamin Franklin, 1776                      *