[comp.lang.c] Pascal to C translator wanted

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (09/25/87)

We have some Pascal code (about 12,000 lines) that we wish were
C (so we could have the same source for Suns, VAX/UNIX, Amdahl/UTS,
and Cray machines).  I understand HCR Corp. has a Pascal compiler
that translates to C first and then compiles the C.  Has anyone used
this product to translate Pascal to maintainable C?  Has anyone used
anything else to translate Pascal to maintainable C?
--
Duke Robillard                {ihnp4!}m10ux!rgr

When my time comes, that's how I wanna go,
stoned and fat and wealthy, and sittin' on the bowl.

schwartz@gondor.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) (09/25/87)

In article <371@m10ux.UUCP> rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) writes:
>We have some Pascal code (about 12,000 lines) that we wish were
>C (so we could have the same source for Suns, VAX/UNIX, Amdahl/UTS,
>and Cray machines).
>  						Has anyone used
>anything else to translate Pascal to maintainable C?

There was a pascal to C translator posted to
comp.sources.unix (I think) a few months ago.  I have played with
is some, but only to test it out.  I seems to do a good job, except
for a bug involving passing pointers to records as var parameters
(easily fixed) and a dubiously implemented set of pascal i/o macros
(some of the i/o stuff is just dead wrong.)  The program is about
200K of pascal source.  You can probably get it from the
comp.sources.unix archives.

-- Scott Schwartz            schwartz@gondor.psu.edu

jbh@rti.rti.org (John B. Hampton) (06/23/89)

Pretty obvious from the subject line, we need a public domain or inexpensive
third party Pascal -> C translator, written in C, in source form.  BSD or
System V specific implementations are OK:  we can modify, and in fact will
have to for our home-grown version of Pascal (basically UCSD with extensions).
This will likely be used for a one-time translation of source to source, so
human-readable C (or at least the option for it) is imperative.

I know I have seen queries and/or responses for Pascal -> C translators on
the net before, so please don't flame me for not paying appropriate attention.
Mea culpa, already.

Email responses are fine.  Thanks in advance.

--  John
John Hampton 		UUCP: ...mcnc!rti!bnrunix!jbh
BNR, Inc.		POB 13478  RTP, NC 27709	919-991-8146
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@ima.isc.com or, perhaps, Levine@YALE.EDU
Plausible paths are { decvax | harvard | yale | bbn}!ima