[comp.lang.c] Who's got the ANSI

kemnitz@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Gregory Kemnitz) (07/23/89)

In article <220@tnl.UUCP| gwollman@tnl.UUCP (Garrett A. Wollman) writes:
|In article <2268@auspex.auspex.com>, guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
|> Nope.  It turned out the problem was that he'd written something like:
|>
|> 	struct foobar {
|> 	} <<<<<<<<<<<<<NOTE: missing semicolon!
|>
|> 	main(argc, argv)
|> 		int argc;
|> 		char *argv[];
|> 	{
|>
|> The missing semicolon caused the "struct" declaration to get glued to
|> the definition of "main"...  This presumably changed the calling sequence of
|> "main" in such a way as to scramble the incoming arguments.
|> [. . .]
|
|It is, of course, obvious, that if we used ANS C-compatible function
|prototypes, this sort of problem would never get past the compiling

Most of the System V Unix world does not have acces to an ANSI C compiler!!!
It would be nice if all the world was ANSI, but it won't be for several years.
It'll take that long for purchases of new C compilers for larger machines to
be justified to management (they cost thousands of dollars), or for them to
tricle out in normal OS releases.  Due to copyleft (see thread on comp.lang.c++)
gcc cannot be used on production code.  Therefore, K & R will remain the
industry standard for the next few years.

| [good reasons to use ANSI deleted]

|-GAWollman

|--
|"(-::-)"    (Siamese twins)   | "This is a public-access system, so I don't
|gwollman@tnl.UUCP             |  know what the operator's opinions are."
|             ...uunet!uvm-gen!tnl!gwollman

----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Greg Kemnitz                      | Software without hardware is an idea.
kemnitz@Convergent.COM            | Hardware without software is a space heater.

schmidt@glacier.ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (07/24/89)

In article <796@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, kemnitz@mitisft (Gregory Kemnitz) writes:
>Due to copyleft (see thread on comp.lang.c++) gcc cannot be used on
>production code.

Sorry to pollute yet another news group with endless digressions on
interpreting the GNU copyleft...  However, Gregory Kemnitz's statement
above is NOT TRUE.  GCC certainly can and is being used to compile
commercial production code.

The problematic issues under discussion in comp.lang.c++ involves
certain GNU *libraries*, e.g., libg++.  I refer you to the past 2 or 3
weeks of posting on that news group for more details.

Doug

--
Master Swordsman speak of humility;             | schmidt@ics.uci.edu (ARPA)
Philosophers speak of truth;                    | office: (714) 856-4034