[comp.lang.c] dial

vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) (08/05/88)

Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???

I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.

This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
(Why be consistant???)

It seems that no matter what I tell it, it returns an error code indicating
that the device I specify is unknown. But - it should be known...

Can anyone please help????

Any ideas/examples would be MUCH appreciated...

Vince Hatem
AT&T International
attibr!vch
(201) 953-8030

In article <28@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
>
>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
>
>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
>(Why be consistant???)

Even if it did work it would also use the old-style uucp lock files
which would not be consistant with uucp and cu.  There should be something
to this effect in the release notes (i.e. "Oh, by the way, dial()
doesn't work").  I ran into the same problem several years ago and
got a working dial.o from the hot-line people.  Hard to believe that
AT&T still has not fixed this in the C library.  Well, maybe not so
hard to believe, just depressing....

Les Mikesell

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/06/88)

In article <6213@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
 >In article <28@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
 >>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
 >>
 >>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
 >>
 >>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
 >>(Why be consistant???)
 >>

 >Even if it did work it would also use the old-style uucp lock files
 >which would not be consistant with uucp and cu.  ...

There is a p.d. re-implementation of dial(3) in the comp.sources.unix
archives, which presumably could be hacked to support HDB-style support
and lock files (or has somebody already done this? Please speak up!). It
also provides more modem flexibility thru a "dialinfo" database.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (08/07/88)

In article <28@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
>
>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
>
>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
>(Why be consistant???)
>
>It seems that no matter what I tell it, it returns an error code indicating
>that the device I specify is unknown. But - it should be known...
>
>Can anyone please help????

two dial(3C) replacements have been posted to the net.  one is simply a
dialer.  i believe it is in volume 6, issues 86 through 88.

a second dial(3C) replacement is a thing i wrote and posted.  it is in
volume 13, issue 59.  however, that version is currently out of date
and needs much work, which has been performed.

send your requests, and if there are enough, i'll repost the new version
complete with bug fixes (and some support for bi-directional logins!!!)
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (08/09/88)

In article <28@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
>
>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
>
>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
>(Why be consistant???)
>
>It seems that no matter what I tell it, it returns an error code indicating
>that the device I specify is unknown. But - it should be known...
>
>Can anyone please help????

i've received five or six requests for my modemcap thing, so i will be
sharing it up and mailing it off to rich $alz.  depending on his current
backlog, plus the delay in my getting it out, it should show up in
comp.sources.unix in the next few weeks.

i'll also go ahead and make a copy available for anonymous uucp, so watch
comp.sources.d for that announcement.

alas, my code also uses the old style uucp files and has conditional
compilation for old style lock files.  an improvement since last release
is the addition of primitive support for bi-directional modem lines.
(it finds the getty, creates the lock, then nukes the getty off ;-)
--
 jfh@rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"

root@chief.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (10/14/88)

Hi,
  I am trying to use the dial() command in SCO Xenix 2.2.1 and I could
use some more info about it. I have looked in the manual and tried a little
and the only thing I cannot figure out is how to seperate the file-discriptor
that it returns into two seperate ones, one for reading and one for writing.

If anyone can give me a little help it would be great. (and if possible an
example program to look at)

Thanks,
Lance Ellinghouse
UUCP: {hermix|ucla-an|srhqla|alphacm}!chief!lance
ARPA: ucla-an!hermix!chief!lance@ee.UCLA.EDU
BBS : CompuInvest (818) 884-7821  24 hours  1200-8-N-1 [XBBS Ver 7.2.1]

jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) (08/01/89)

I'm having trouble understanding the usage of the dial() function.
This is with a Un*x system.  The
function seems pretty straightforward ... but any call to it with a valid
tty device returns error -6, line problem, open() failure.

A code fragment showing usage of this function would be sufficient to get
me going, I think.

Post your reply or mail it to:

"	I don't want to imply I'm underpaid, but ...
	Last time I took my paycheck to the bank to be cashed, the teller
	asked me, 'How would you like that, sir, Heads, or Tails?'	"

Jerry		( jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM )
-----