[comp.lang.c] Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

BETZ-A@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Betz) (07/12/89)

     I recently bought Borland's Turbo C 2.0 upon reccommendation from
the Psych Dept's programmer, who claimed C was the best computer
language in the world.  A convinced consumer, I went out and got this
package right away.  It really is impressive.  Here's the catch: I
don't know anything about C and this is not the most user-friendly
language I've ever seen.  What I need is a good intro book to C
programming and I don't know what's good and what's not.  I'd
appreciate any suggestions (hint: NOT Kernighan & Ritchie, please)
as to what I should look into.  Incidently, I am not familiar with
structured programming (e.g., PASCAL) either.  My goal is to
learn C to a moderate degree of proficiency by simply reading a
book or two and hacking away.

     Please send suggestions to:

     Betz-A@OSU-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu     {InterNet}
(or) TS7080.OHSTMVSA.BITNET                {BitNet}

     Thanks in advance,

     Drew Betz

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (07/13/89)

In article <12509209925025@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, Drew Betz writes:

+      I recently bought Borland's Turbo C 2.0 upon reccommendation from
+ the Psych Dept's programmer, who claimed C was the best computer
+ language in the world.  A convinced consumer, I went out and got this

  You probably won't find much argument in this newsgroup!

+ package right away.  It really is impressive.  Here's the catch: I
+ don't know anything about C and this is not the most user-friendly
+ language I've ever seen.  What I need is a good intro book to C
+ programming and I don't know what's good and what's not.  I'd
+ appreciate any suggestions (hint: NOT Kernighan & Ritchie, please)
+ as to what I should look into.  Incidently, I am not familiar with
+ structured programming (e.g., PASCAL) either.  My goal is to
+ learn C to a moderate degree of proficiency by simply reading a
+ book or two and hacking away.

  One of the best books out (IMHO) for someone such as yourself would be:

  C: Step-by-Step
  by The Waite Group

  ISBN:  0-672-22651-0

  This book used to be "The C Primer Plus", which I've been using in
class for about 2 years.  I've found it to be clear and entertaining
(not dry), especially for those with no "structured programming"
experience.

  K&R is a great reference, and is actually a wonderful book if you
have been programming in HHL's for a long time and don't know C - or
if you *think* you know C ;-).  However, K&R is not for the faint
of heart.

~ David Geary, Boeing Aerospace, Seattle                 ~
~ "I wish I lived where it *only* rains 364 days a year" ~

walker@ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) (07/14/89)

In article <2790@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
> In article <12509209925025@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, Drew Betz writes:
>                             What I need is a good intro book to C
> + programming and I don't know what's good and what's not.  I'd
> + appreciate any suggestions (hint: NOT Kernighan & Ritchie, please)
>
>   One of the best books out (IMHO) for someone such as yourself would be:
>
>   C: Step-by-Step
>   by The Waite Group

I *highly* recommend _The C Puzzle Book_.  I have long since passed mine
to someone else, and I don't remember who wrote/published it.  It is
almost like one of the old "workbooks" you had in elementary school.
It contains nothing but C statements and expressions, and the reader must
solve each of them as a puzzle.  It does not contain any actual C language
definition or explanation, just a zillion puzzles.  And the puzzles are
somewhat entertaining - you will find yourself saying "awww, yeahhhh,
I should know that...." a lot.  Most important, the puzzles drill the
language into you well enough to make you fairly proficient.

Each chapter of the book introduces new language features.  The puzzles
in each section begin with easy ones and progress to quite difficult
levels.  When you complete the book, you will have rather vigorously
exercised your own new knowledge of C, and will be (IMHO) far ahead of
where you would be if you only read a language primer and hacked a few
simple programs of your own.

Don't write the answers in your book, however (the answers to all of the
puzzles ARE in the back), since you will want to pass the book around to
others........

--
Walker Mangum                                  |  Adytum, Incorporated
phone: (713) 333-1509                          |  1100 NASA Road One

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (07/15/89)

< What I need is a good intro book to C
< programming...

>I *highly* recommend _The C Puzzle Book_.

Ick.  I highly disrecommend this book.  It teaches you to debug code that
only a psychopath would write, and warps you into looking for things that
are almost never there.  Stay as far away from such code as possible!

Some could say that this makes me a dilettante, but I prefer my psycho's
on the silver screen, not the CRT screen... :-)
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

scs@adam.pika.mit.edu (Steve Summit) (07/15/89)

In article <1900@prune.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>>I *highly* recommend _The C Puzzle Book_.
>
>Ick.  I highly disrecommend this book.  It teaches you to debug code that
>only a psychopath would write, and warps you into looking for things that
>are almost never there.  Stay as far away from such code as possible!

I'll emphatically second Rich's motion.  The more subtle problem
is that computer languages are learned in part by imitation, just
as are natural ones.  One reason that so many people write horrid
code is because that's all they saw when they were learning.  The
C Puzzle Book is chock-full of code that people should neither
have to know how to understand or to write.

"But wait," you say, "surely, having seen how hard to understand
ugly code is, one would be inclined to shun it in one's own
work."  'Fraid not.  For one thing, since there's so little good
code around, people figure that, as ugly as ugly code is, it's
just a necessary part of computer programming.  Then there's the
"macho" attitude -- "I can understand this glop now, so I'll
impress everyone with my erudition by writing some for myself."
(I have talked to intermediate programmers who believed that they
should start writing more cryptic code in order to be "advanced.")
Finally, there's all sorts of paradoxical human psychology
involved -- people are often drawn to that which they dread,
especially if it's all they know.  (Read Poe's "The Imp of the
Perverse" sometime.)

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs@adam.pika.mit.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/15/89)

In article <5005@ficc.uu.net> walker@ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) writes:
>I *highly* recommend _The C Puzzle Book_.

I have a problem with that book:  It relies on nonstandard C
implementation features for many of its examples, and the
emphasis on puzzling C constructs does not encourage use of
clean coding style.

vijay@bradley.UUCP (07/16/89)

>/* ---------- "Wanted: advice on a good C textbook" ---------- */
>
>    I recently bought Borland's Turbo C 2.0 upon reccommendation from
>the Psych Dept's programmer, who claimed C was the best computer
>language in the world.  A convinced consumer, I went out and got this
>package right away.  It really is impressive.  Here's the catch: I
>don't know anything about C and this is not the most user-friendly
>language I've ever seen.  What I need is a good intro book to C
>programming and I don't know what's good and what's not.  I'd
>appreciate any suggestions (hint: NOT Kernighan & Ritchie, please)
>as to what I should look into.  Incidently, I am not familiar with
>structured programming (e.g., PASCAL) either.  My goal is to
>learn C to a moderate degree of proficiency by simply reading a
>book or two and hacking away.
>
>     Please send suggestions to:
>
>     Betz-A@OSU-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu     {InterNet}
>(or) TS7080.OHSTMVSA.BITNET                {BitNet}
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>
>     Drew Betz

If you do not want to deal with K&R, then I suppose the best
book would be "A Book on C" by Ira Pohl. I do not remember the
ISBN or the publishers, but if you need additional
information, let me know.....

Have fun

=============================================================I
  /    /                 E-mail: vijay@bradley.edu           I
 /    / *   *  ___               ...!uiucdcs!bradley!vijay   I
 /  /  /   /  /  /  /  / I===================================I
 //___/___/__/_\/__/__/  I  Exxon - Our gasoline contains no
         /           /   I          sea water. Guaranteed!!
        /           /    I
     __/         __/     I

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (07/17/89)

Books I like (besides K&R):
-- Andrew Koenig, "C Traps and Pit Falls", Addison-Wesley, Reading,
Massachusetts (1989). ESSENTIAL!
-- Stephen Kochan, "Programming in ANSI C", Hayden Books, Indianapolis,
Indiana (1988).
-- A Book on C (I can't remember the author/publisher...).

UNIX books:
-- Brian Kernigan and Rob Pike "The UNIX Programming Environment",
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (1984).
-- Marc Rochkind, "Advanced UNIX Programming", Prentice-Hall, Engelwood
Cliffs, New Jersey, (1985).

I never liked the puzzle book. I more or less agree with the person who wrote
(but I wouldn't have used such strong lanugage):