[comp.lang.c] Fortran to C translation

g-wardal@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (John F. Wardale) (07/25/89)

We need to translate some Fortran programs into C.

If anyone on the net has any programs that might help us
with this project, we would be very grateful.

Please send translators to:
	johnw@madrad.radiology.wisc.edu
-or-
	...!uwvax!madrad.radiology.wisc.edu!johnw

			Thanks in Advance

			John F. Wardale
		(johnw@madrad.radiology.wisc.edu)

To err is human, to really screw up world news requires the net!

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (07/25/89)

In article <7990@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-wardal@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (John F. Wardale) writes:
>We need to translate some Fortran programs into C.
>
>If anyone on the net has any programs that might help us
>with this project, we would be very grateful.

OK, that does it.  No more mister nice-guy-send-e-mail!

The following company has an excellent Fortran to C translator.  It has many
extensions (VAX) included.

	Cobalt Blue
	2940 Union
	San Jose, CA  95124

	(408) 723-0474

The product name is "FOR_C".

As a second option, I also do Fortran to C conversions.  I am, however, likely
to be more expensive.  In addition, I will take more time.

chris@tadhg.newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Forker - Nav Arch-) (07/26/89)

In article <7990@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-wardal@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (John F. Wardale) writes:
>We need to translate some Fortran programs into C.
>
>If anyone on the net has any programs that might help us
>with this project, we would be very grateful.
>
>Please send translators to:
>	johnw@madrad.radiology.wisc.edu
>-or-
>	...!uwvax!madrad.radiology.wisc.edu!johnw
>
>			Thanks in Advance
>
>			John F. Wardale
>		(johnw@madrad.radiology.wisc.edu)
>
>To err is human, to really screw up world news requires the net!

	Me Too Please.....

	Chris Forker..

MWINTONY@UALTAVM.BITNET (Myron Wintonyk) (07/31/89)

In article <887@lakesys.UUCP>, davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>The following company has an excellent Fortran to C translator.  It has many
>extensions (VAX) included ...
>        Cobalt Blue
>        2940 Union
>        San Jose, CA  95124
>        (408) 723-0474

  One thing you forgot to mention is: what system(s) does this product
  run on? i.e. VAX, IBM/370, IBM-PC, Sun or whatever. Does it require
  a specific operating system on that system?

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (08/08/89)

In article <7990@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-wardal@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (John F. Wardale) writes:
>We need to translate some Fortran programs into C.

It seems this request is becomming more frequent so I will give my
$.02 on the subject.

On most BSD systems there is a program called "struct" that takes
Fortran source and converts it to RATFOR source.  I have found this to
be a good start on converting Fortran to C since RATFOR is like C in
many ways, at least enough to cut down on the manual manipulations
that make this conversion possible.

I admit it is not much but when commercial products to do the translation
cost in the tens of thousands of $'s, this is a cheap alternative.
I'm not sure of the state of Fortran to C translators to date but it
seems to me some manual modifications will still be required for even
the best translators.  Using struct provides the bulk translation and
the fine tuning can proceed with the hand changes needed to translate
RATFOR to C.

It would be nice if UCB could release struct to the public domain so
it could be used as the start of a "real" Fortran to C translator.
Anyone from UCB listening in have any comments?

D. Art Dederick
FileNet Corp.
3565 Harbor Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 966-3618
{ccicpg,hplabs,oliveb,spsd,zardoz}!felix!art

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/10/89)

In article <108783@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
>It would be nice if UCB could release struct to the public domain so
>it could be used as the start of a "real" Fortran to C translator.

UCB does not own "struct"; it was developed at Bell Labs and was
included in 7th Edition UNIX.

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) (08/10/89)

In article <108783@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
>In article <7990@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-wardal@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (John F. Wardale) writes:
>>We need to translate some Fortran programs into C.
>
>It seems this request is becomming more frequent so I will give my
>$.02 on the subject.
>
>On most BSD systems there is a program called "struct" that takes
>Fortran source and converts it to RATFOR source.  I have found this to
>be a good start on converting Fortran to C since RATFOR is like C in
>many ways, at least enough to cut down on the manual manipulations
>that make this conversion possible.

  I've attempted to use struct on several occasions, and was not
very happy with the results.   First of all, the 4BSD version of
struct expects FORTRAN IV (or maybe f66?) as input.  A number of
f77 constructs will choke it.   Struct is very ambitious in its
attempts to untangle spaghetti, and seems to get in over its head
quite frequently.  In other words, the output code was wrong too
often for my taste.   If you have code that is pretty clean and
simple to begin with, it might be ok.

George Seibel, UCSF

>It would be nice if UCB could release struct to the public domain so
>it could be used as the start of a "real" Fortran to C translator.
>Anyone from UCB listening in have any comments?

"struct" was written by Brenda Baker at Bell Labs, and is AT&T licensed
code.  It doesn't appear in S5, but a number of things originally
released with AT&T V7 UNIX don't appear in S5.  They can't release it to
the public domain, except by rewriting it, and I suspect that's not
exactly at the top of their priority list (Baker did publish a paper, as
I remember, on the algorithms she used, so that might be a start).