[comp.lang.c] Re^2: BSS data segment

jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (08/04/89)

mark@inmet writes:

>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??

I saw it mentiond just a few days ago, but don't recall where.
It stands for Block Started by Symbol, a phrase used by some old
IBM assembler I think.
--
Jan B. Andersen                              ("SIMULA does it with CLASS")

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (08/05/89)

>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??

Block Started by Symbol.
I believe it traces back to some old IBM machine.

-Ted

chad@lakesys.UUCP (D. Chadwick Gibbons) (08/05/89)

...actually, it stands for Blank Static Storage, at least according to every C
book and UNIX manual I have ever read...so that gives it about a 60% of being
correct...maybe less; maybe a lot less.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons, chad@lakesys.lakesys.com, ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!chad

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (08/05/89)

In article <69@harald.UUCP> jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
>mark@inmet writes:
>
 >>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??
>
>I saw it mentiond just a few days ago, but don't recall where.
>It stands for Block Started by Symbol, a phrase used by some old
>IBM assembler I think.
>--
>Jan B. Andersen                              ("SIMULA does it with CLASS")

IBM 709 class machine, to be exact.

--
							spl
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/06/89)

In article <929@lakesys.UUCP> chad@lakesys.UUCP (D. Chadwick Gibbons) writes:
>...actually, it stands for Blank Static Storage, at least according to every C
>book and UNIX manual I have ever read...

Vacuously true?

clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) (08/15/89)

From article <69@harald.UUCP>, by jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen):
> mark@inmet writes:
>
>>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??

I always thought it was Block Storage Segment.
--
Clyde Smith-Stubbs
HI-TECH Software, P.O. Box 103, ALDERLEY, QLD, 4051, AUSTRALIA.

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/17/89)

In article <312@hitech.ht.oz>, clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:
> I always thought it was Block Storage Segment.

I promised myself that I wouldn't post this unless I saw more than
two wrong answers, so here goes.  I hope dmr doesn't mind clearing
the air indirectly:

<  To: vsi!friedl
<  From: attmail!research!dmr
<  Date: Sat Nov 12 08:52 GMT 1988
<  Subject: BSS
<
<  Actually the acronym (in the sense we took it up; it may
<  have other credible etymologies) is "Block Started by Symbol."
<  It was a pseudo-op in FAP (Fortran Assembly [-er?] Program), an
<  assembler for the IBM 704-709-7090-7094 machines.  It defined
<  its label and set aside space for a given number of words.
<  There was another pseudo-op, BES, "Block Ended by Symbol"
<  that did the same except that the label was defined by
<  the last assigned word + 1.  (On these machines Fortran
<  arrays were stored backwards in storage and were 1-origin.)
<
<  The usage is reasonably appropriate, because just as with
<  standard Unix loaders, the space assigned didn't have to
<  be punched literally into the object deck but was represented
<  by a count somewhere.
<
<  	Dennis Ritchie

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl@vsi.com

"My new bestseller, _Teach_Yourself_to_Read_, is now available everywhere" -me

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (08/17/89)

In article <312@hitech.ht.oz>, clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:
> From article <69@harald.UUCP>, by jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen):
> > mark@inmet writes:
> >>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??
> I always thought it was Block Storage Segment.

Of course not.  It's "British Motor Works."

(DON'T SAY IT!)
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA 508-626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu