[comp.lang.c] FYI: A Truly pd yacc.

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (09/04/89)

[In case you have missed the article in comp.compilers]

FINALY IT'S OVER !!! THNX BOB !!!

For those who are interested, and who are tired of/annoyed by Bison's
copylefted skeleton, availability of a truly PD Yacc-compatible LALR
parser generator ZOO was announced by its author Bob Corbett, who's parser
generator (written as a part of his graduate work at Cal) was used in
Bison as well.

zoo is available via anonymous ftp: ucbarpa.berkeley.edu:  pub/zoo.tar.Z

Appearently, a new version of ZOO is also underway, for IEEE P1003.2
compatibility.

Happy parser-generations to all, PD to boot...	oz

--
The king: If there's no meaning	   	    Usenet:    oz@nexus.yorku.ca
in it, that saves a world of trouble        ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (09/05/89)

In article <3577@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>copylefted skeleton, availability of a truly PD Yacc-compatible LALR
>parser generator ZOO was announced by its author Bob Corbett, who's parser
                  ^^^

Great effort and all that, but isn't there a rather heavily used,
popular, freely distributable archiver/unarchiver in wide circulation
that already uses this name???

A renaming is probably in order (IMHO) to avoid keeping confusion
springing eternal....

Mark
##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk  ###################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##
####################  Life's a bitch.  Then you die.  #################

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (09/06/89)

In article <3577@yunexus.UUCP> I wrote:
>... availability of a truly PD Yacc-compatible LALR
>parser generator ZOO was announced by its author Bob Corbett...

I received a ton of mail about the name, ZOO, which is of course used by a
well-known archiever. I replied to most, and also passed a note to Bob,
but our views somehow were the same: take it, and call it *whatever* you
like: I call it NACC for Non-ATT-Compiler-Compiler. Try calling it YACC
for example. Bob tells me that ZOO's original name was ZEUS.

The point is folks, a ROSE is a ROSE by any other name. Take it, and
enjoy it. If you find bugs, we certainly will know what to patch.

oz
--

rob@phao.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (09/08/89)

In article <3615@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>I received a ton of mail about the name, ZOO, which is of course used by a
>well-known archiever.
[...]
>The point is folks, a ROSE is a ROSE by any other name. Take it, and
>enjoy it. If you find bugs, we certainly will know what to patch.

That's not the point.  I'm sure you know which program you wrote :-) I'm
fairly sure I can remember how to use `mv', but I'm not at all sure that I'll
be able to see which program is which on an archive server.  Those machines
usually rely on you knowing the program from the name, and that doesn't work
too well in this case.

SR

davy@riacs.edu (Dave Curry) (09/08/89)

In article <2989@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob@phao.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>In article <3615@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>>I received a ton of mail about the name, ZOO, which is of course used by a
>>well-known archiever.
>[...]
>>The point is folks, a ROSE is a ROSE by any other name. Take it, and
>>enjoy it. If you find bugs, we certainly will know what to patch.
>
>That's not the point.  I'm sure you know which program you wrote :-) I'm
>fairly sure I can remember how to use `mv', but I'm not at all sure that I'll
>be able to see which program is which on an archive server.  Those machines
>usually rely on you knowing the program from the name, and that doesn't work
>too well in this case.
>
>SR

Exactly right.  As the maintainer of one of those archives (UNIX-SW on
SIMTEL20), I haven't yet decided what to do about this program.  It
certainly won't be stored as ZOO, since that name is already in
widespread use as something else.  It's bad enough with several
hundred file names to run through, without having to figure out
*which* "ZOO" is intended.

I'll probably just call it PD-YACC or something and warn people not to
call it ZOO.  But it'd be a lot easier if the author would choose some
name that isn't already "taken".  (What does "ZOO" have to do with the
function of the program, anyway?)  (Of course, that question applies
equally well to the other ZOO program...)

Dave Curry
UNIX-SW Coordinator
UNIX-SW-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (09/08/89)

In article <1680@hydra.riacs.edu> davy@hydra.riacs.edu.UUCP (Dave Curry)
writes:
>I'll probably just call it PD-YACC or something and warn people not to
>call it ZOO.

PD-YACC may not be what you want, it is what the original ATT Yacc has
been called, and mistakenly distributed under. Perhaps REALLY-PD-YACC ??
:-) or to place credit where it is due, call it CORBETT-YACC.

>But it'd be a lot easier if the author would choose some
>name that isn't already "taken".

Yes, I see this has become a problem of such scale, people have been
flaming Bob Corbett, as a way to thank him no doubt. In any case, Bob will
probably name it something else shortly. I have been getting my share of
mail (75 pieces so far, not quite as nasty) for my postings. I had hoped
that in this case, need, PD-ness and functionality will transcend the
name. I admit my naivete.

Now, I have decided to build a "Un*x list of Names" so we can all flame
each other about this name or that, and avoid deadly confusion. :-)

oz-but-not-what-the-name-suggests

--

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (09/09/89)

In article <3615@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>The point is folks, a ROSE is a ROSE by any other name. Take it, and
>enjoy it. If you find bugs, we certainly will know what to patch.

OK, now we know.  Folks, he wants to rename "ZOO" to "ROSE".  Look for
it by that name at your favorite archive sites.  (Oh, yeah, a cute
reason for the name?  Um..  You use a YACC to plow the field, which
makes "ROSE" to grow.  Poor grammar intentional, to stretch for the
pun :-)

"The name of the connector is the network."
"The name of the conference is the organization."
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco