[comp.lang.c] Is there a IBM 370 C compiler?

khp@pacengr.UUCP (Kevin H. Parrish) (09/11/89)

Does anyone know of a C compiler for the IBM 370 mainframe environment.
I'm specifically looking for one to run under the MVS/XA operating system.
Thanks in advance.

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) (09/11/89)

In article <273@pacengr.UUCP> khp@pacengr.UUCP (Kevin H. Parrish) writes:
>Does anyone know of a C compiler for the IBM 370 mainframe environment.
>I'm specifically looking for one to run under the MVS/XA operating system.
>Thanks in advance.

Yes, Waterloo C runs under MVS (there's also a version for CMS).  Send
mail to JAN at WATCSG on BITNET for more information.

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

wjr@ftp.COM (Bill Rust) (09/11/89)

In article <273@pacengr.UUCP> khp@pacengr.UUCP (Kevin H. Parrish) writes:
>Does anyone know of a C compiler for the IBM 370 mainframe environment.
>I'm specifically looking for one to run under the MVS/XA operating system.
>Thanks in advance.

Call up IBM. I have worked with a company that got one from them. I believe
that it works under MVS and well as CICS, but your local sales rep will
know the details much better than I do.

Bill Rust (wjr@ftp.com)

jbeard@quintus.UUCP (Jeff Beard) (09/11/89)

>> Does anyone know of a C compiler for the IBM 370 mainframe environment.
>> I'm specifically looking for one to run under the MVS/XA operating system.
>> Thanks in advance.

Of course!  5713-AAG & 5713-AAH  These are derivatives of the Whitesmith`s
C compiler.  As IBM has announced SAA with a C component, one may expect this
to be that compiler.

Prior experience however, lead me to find the SAS/C compiler which is by far
superior when considering multi-user, reenterant code and like issues.
The object decks from it are fuly compatible across VM and MVS IFF system
dependencies can be avoided ( data set names, SVC calls, ...).

SAS Institute
BOX 8000
Cary, NC 27511-8000

(919) 467-8000.