[comp.lang.c] Problem with Quick C 2.0, from novice user

bridge@max.u.washington.edu (09/10/89)

Recently I upgraded from Quick C 1.1 to Quick C 2.0.  I am a novice C
programmer and I have followed a book to learn to write C programs.  All
my programs (small, less than 50 lines) can't be compiled to an .EXE file.
I got the error message:

Make: Fatal Error U1077: 'LINK.EXE': return code -1

I check the the On-line Help and also the manual and still can't figure
out what is going on.  I have a hard time finding what the return code
-1 means.

Could somebody tell me what I may do to avoid this error?  This only
happens when I use the integrated enviroment (i.e. use shift-F5).  I
can compile my program using qcl or link at the DOS prompt without
any problem.

Thanks in advance.

drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (09/11/89)

From article <6700@max.u.washington.edu>, by bridge@max.u.washington.edu:
> Recently I upgraded from Quick C 1.1 to Quick C 2.0.  I am a novice C
> programmer and I have followed a book to learn to write C programs.  All
> my programs (small, less than 50 lines) can't be compiled to an .EXE file.
> I got the error message:
>
> Make: Fatal Error U1077: 'LINK.EXE': return code -1
>
> I check the the On-line Help and also the manual and still can't figure
> out what is going on.  I have a hard time finding what the return code
> -1 means.
>
> Could somebody tell me what I may do to avoid this error?  This only
> happens when I use the integrated enviroment (i.e. use shift-F5).  I
> can compile my program using qcl or link at the DOS prompt without
> any problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I had a the same problem. It seems that Microsoft has several versions of a link floating around, all with the same name. In my case, Quick C was trying to use the link in my c:\dos directory instead of the link that was in my qc2\bin directory. The solution: I renamed my link in my dos directory so that the only link that was named "link" was the one that came with QC 2.0 .  I hope this helps.

Duane L. Rezac

--
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of my place|

hls@rwthbs.UUCP (H.L. Stahl) (09/13/89)

In article <576@dcscg1.UUCP> drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) writes:
- [...]
-