[comp.lang.c] typedef struct node * pnode;

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (09/16/89)

Please reply directly to me.

I have this statement in a Microsoft C 5.1 program:

    typedef struct node * pnode;

Then I use it later like this:

     pnode a,b;

Well a becomes defined correctly, but is seems that b is getting the
type (node) instead of (node *).  Is this the way it is supposed to
work, or is it a bug?
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

darcy@bbm.UUCP (D'Arcy Cain) (09/19/89)

In article <901@wubios.wustl.edu>, david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> I have this statement in a Microsoft C 5.1 program:
>
>     typedef struct node * pnode;
>
> Then I use it later like this:
>
>      pnode a,b;
>
> Well a becomes defined correctly, but is seems that b is getting the
> type (node) instead of (node *).  Is this the way it is supposed to

I tried this with my MSC 5.1 and it compiled correctly.  Can you create
the smallest possible program which gives this error and post that.  I
had to create a program around the above lines and perhaps your program
has something different in it that caused the problem.  You should also
include the command line you use to compile it (including anything in
the CL environment string if you have one) because I have found errors
in MSC 5.x that only show up under certain optimizations.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain
(darcy@bbm, darcy@cain)

P.S: I know you asked for direct response but I seem to be having some
trouble getting mail out of this area lately due in part to a main hub
being down here.  I will mail it as well in case you don't see it
here for some reason.  Maybe it will get through.

DC