[comp.lang.c] C most commonly asked questions: WAS: restructuring newsgroup

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (09/12/89)

There has been a lot of discussion on restructuring the newsgroup with
good comments on both sides.  A couple people have touched on a possible
solution but not really presented it as such.  If someone has, I've missed
it and apologize.

As in the comp.unix groups, there is a monthly posting of most commonly-asked
questions.  Posters here in the last few days have lamented the freqeuntly
asked questions like null pointers, not using main as an entry etc.

Is it viable to compile these questions with others and create our own
'most commonly-asked questions'?  It could be added to as needed, and may
cut down on some traffic.  Chris Torek and others have posted nice
comprehensive followups to some questions that are mini-tutorials in their
own right.  I save these and refer to them after exiting news.  I also have
them available here for others (saves my explanation time when others come
to me).  Since C questions tend to be more varied than the 'commonly asked
questions' in the comp.unix groups, perhaps some of these mini-tutorials
(on pointer representation etc.) could be included.

Any comment?  Feasible?

Ron Schweikert  (always learning!  Thanks for those who post such comprehensive
answers to questions while others post one-line responses.)

--
Ron Schweikert
303/444-5710 x5026

In article <1141@nbife.NBI.COM> ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>Is it viable to compile these questions with others and create our own
>'most commonly-asked questions'?  ...

This is eminently worth doing.  I've been sort of vaguely thinking about
starting a comp.lang.c/comp.std.c frequently-asked-questions list for some
time.  (I conjecture that it's worth posting it to both groups.)  Mostly
we need someone to organize it and post it periodically.  Any enthusiastic
volunteers?  I'm willing to try it, but I've got lots to do already and
would happily stand aside if someone else wants the job.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mark@siva.UUCP (Mark Marsh) (09/17/89)

In article <1141@nbife.NBI.COM>, ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
> Is it viable to compile these questions with others and create our own
> 'most commonly-asked questions'?  It could be added to as needed, and may
> cut down on some traffic.  Chris Torek and others have posted nice
> comprehensive followups to some questions that are mini-tutorials in their
> own right.  I save these and refer to them after exiting news.  I also have
> them available here for others (saves my explanation time when others come
> to me).  Since C questions tend to be more varied than the 'commonly asked
> questions' in the comp.unix groups, perhaps some of these mini-tutorials
> (on pointer representation etc.) could be included.

This sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps a monthly posting of frequently
asked questions will grow large very fast if there are a number of the
aforementioned long tutorials. Maybe a monthly posting of an e-mail address
to request a copy of a compilation of these questions would serve the purpose
and also keep down some of the news volume.

Comments?

--
smail: mark@siva
uucp : ...!ames!pacbell!sactoh0!siva!mark

rp@rpx.UUCP (Rich Patterson) (09/19/89)

HI,
	I think the monthly posting is a good idea.  Comp.unix.wizards does
a similar thing.  Currently, the Unix 'answers to commonly asked ...' is a
good one and others find it useful.
	If this begins to clutter up comp.lang.c, lets take this offline,
via e-mail to save net bandwidth.  Thanks.

Rich P.
rp@rpx
{pacbell!osc,pyramid}!rpx!rp