[comp.lang.c] Someone is recycling old news.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (09/10/89)

In case people Out There are wondering why topics laid to rest a month
ago are coming back, it has something to do with one or more of the
following sites:

(I happen to believe that it is neither the first two nor the last.)

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/10/89)

In article <19501@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In case people Out There are wondering why topics laid to rest a month
>ago are coming back, it has something to do with one or more of the
>following sites:

Good that you pinted that out. I thought I had screwed software or
had been dreaming true for a while...

This has not happened in all newsgroups. Only comp.sys.mac that I
can remember, though I read about 10 news groups. Anyone have any
clues ? This has been quite distressing.

Also, while speaking about comp.sys.mac, I think It's a good idea
to split it in comp.sys.mac (which could deal with all non-hyper-
card software) and comp.sys.mac.hardware (Yes, I prefer the longer
name)

I haven't seen the call for votes yet, but It isn't time yet (or
is it ?)

h+@nada.kth.se
--
Moooo.

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (09/11/89)

From article <1588@draken.nada.kth.se>, by d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte):
> This has not happened in all newsgroups. Only comp.sys.mac that I
> can remember, though I read about 10 news groups. Anyone have any
> clues ? This has been quite distressing.

    I've seen it in soc.culture.nordic, comp.sw.components, and
    a few other groups.  The old articles seem to come in contiguous
    runs, sometimes as few as one, sometimes five or ten at a time.
    The length of the run seems to be proportional to the volume in
    the newsgroup.

    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (09/12/89)

> Also, while speaking about comp.sys.mac, I think It's a good idea
> to split it in comp.sys.mac (which could deal with all non-hyper-
> card software) and comp.sys.mac.hardware (Yes, I prefer the longer
> name)
Pardon me? Do you really believe that hypercard has anything
to do with hardware just because its ending in 'card'???
There's comp.sys.mac...for everything about Macs inclusive
hardware
	comp.sys.mac.hypercard...for software and scripts for
the programmable database Hypercard
	comp.sys.mac.programmer...for Mac system hackers (or
should we say kernal hackers now they have AUX, arrgh, that's
another newsgroup alltogether) and hardware related
programming (device drivers..)
I believe that those groups cater for all needs and that there
is no need for yet another mac.whatever group.
fmr@cwi.nl
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
Maintainer's Motto:

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/12/89)

In article <1001@sering.cwi.nl    fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
       Also, while speaking about comp.sys.mac, I think It's a good idea
       to split it in comp.sys.mac (which could deal with all non-hyper-
       card software) and comp.sys.mac.hardware (Yes, I prefer the longer
            ^^^^^^^^
       name)

   Pardon me? Do you really believe that hypercard has anything
   to do with hardware just because its ending in 'card'???

   There's comp.sys.mac...for everything about Macs inclusive
   hardware

Yes, and there's about 60 articles each morning :-( I think
that a split is inevitable, and my meaning was that comp.sys.mac
would suffice instead of comp.sys.mac.misc or comp.sys.mac.software

   I believe that those groups cater for all needs and that there
   is no need for yet another mac.whatever group.

h+@nada.kth.se
--
Availability == 1 / (Brains x Beauty)

story@can503.UUCP (Robert Story) (09/19/89)

In article <19501@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In case people Out There are wondering why topics laid to rest a month
>ago are coming back, it has something to do with one or more of the

This is the THIRD time I have received this message.  A lot of articles from
the beginning of September seem to reappear every few days.  My cron runs
'expire -e 10 -E 21 -i', is this the problem?  Does anyone have any idea of
what's happening?
--
[ Robert Story    ..{!utzoo!censor,!uunet!zardoz!avcoint}!avcocan!story     ]
[ SnailMail : AFS 201 Queens Avenue London Ontario Canada N6A 1J1           ]

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (09/20/89)

story@can503.UUCP (Robert Story) writes:

>This is the THIRD time I have received this message.  A lot of articles from
>the beginning of September seem to reappear every few days.  My cron runs
>'expire -e 10 -E 21 -i', is this the problem?  Does anyone have any idea of
>what's happening?

If you're really running -E21 on September 18 and seeing an article
from early September repeated several times, then your news software is
broke or your history file is corrupted.

As for the big loop of stuff with dates in early August, the system that
did it has been tracked down independantly by numerous folks and has
fixed their problem.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.