[comp.lang.c] Using "Followup-to: poster"

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (09/27/89)

In article <895@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>(The referenced article had a follow-up header of "poster", which I
>think is a nasty thing to have done.)

Setting the "Followup-to" header to "poster" can be useful.  I use it
when I want to collect results or opinions and then post a summary
later.  I think that using "poster" as a followup is only appropriate if
you indicate in the article that you will collect replies and summarize.
Otherwise, the "Followup-to" should be one or more valid newsgroups
(preferably one from the "Newsgroups" header in the article).

Since these newsgroups probably don't need discussions on posting
protocols, please do not send followups to these groups.  Instead send
replies and comments to me and I will post a summary of the net.opinion
by October 5.

Rob Sartin			internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
Software Technology Lab 	uucp    : hplabs!sartin
Hewlett-Packard			voice	: (415) 857-7592