[comp.lang.c] Universal Assembler?

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (10/06/89)

Looking for a simple Lex/Yacc assembler I can adapt to 8085/8080 code.

Hello...

Well, I'm playing with my home brew car alarm again... This a TRS-80
model 100, I've interfaced to shock sensor, siren, and dashboard LED display.
(more background below...)

Now I have a software request... I'm looking for some sort of simple
assembler that I can use to develop software on the unix system, and then
load it into the model 100. It uses an 8085 (8080 op-code compatible).
I just need something simple I can adapt. I'm thinking of writing it in C,
But I thought one of you Lex/Yacc hacks out there may have something even
more appropriate. It doesn't have to be 8080 asembler, I guess I can adapt
any op-code set..

Radio Shack does sell an assembler for the model 100, for under $30. However,
I am certainly not in the mood to mess with a cassette recorder to load it!
Plus, since the machine is now part of the Cherokee, It's not exactly
convienient to do software development on it...

The reason I want to start getting into assembler for 8080 is that I want
to make a digital dash board... in the form of the model 100's screen
(8 lines x 40 chars) positioned over existing dash guages (leaving them
functioning, and undisturbed). Basic is too slow. I'm using Basic for the
current alarm program. I want to put a opto-interrupter on the speedometer
cable, and have one of the counters count pulses, and figure out the speed.
Also, voltage to frequence converter, to convert voltages going to oil,
batt, pressure indicators, and count pulses there with the same circuits.

Sound like fun? If I were only brave enough to pull the LCD display apart,
and pull off that silver backing, and replace it with an EL panel...
It looks like the silver reflector is glued to the back. Don't know.
Radio Shack repair center guy said it's real tricky to align the LCD
element with the elsometric connectors, and I don't want to chance it...
A replacement LCD display (incl. driver board) is $200. I'll use a row of
small incandescent lamps, or perhaps edge-light the LCD. need to experiment...

Comments? Please Email, as I don't read all the groups I'm posting to...

Christopher A. Nielsen
//////////////////            Zorin Data Systems, Inc
           ////      P.O. Box 5669 Santa Monica, CA 90405-0669
        ////                    (213) 399-3804 x 45
     ////		     UUCP: randvax!zorin!info
  ////
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Zorin... "The Future On-Line"  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
< Online Product Information and other services - Call or write for free demo >

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/07/89)

In article <195@zorin.UUCP>, chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) writes:

> Now I have a software request... I'm looking for some sort of simple
> assembler that I can use to develop software on the unix system, and then
> load it into the model 100. It uses an 8085 (8080 op-code compatible).
> I just need something simple I can adapt. I'm thinking of writing it in C,

Try the comp.sources.unix archives, volumes 7 and 9, and comp.sources.misc
for around May '88.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (10/10/89)

In article <195@zorin.UUCP>, chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) writes:
> Looking for a simple Lex/Yacc assembler I can adapt to 8085/8080 code.

I wasn't going to post this but as two articles in a row are looking for
cross assmblers, here it is.

SSC sells a table driven cross assembler for 8-bit micros.  It uses
yacc and lex and is distributed as source code.  It is $175 for the
assembler and one set of tables.  Additional tables are $50.  If this
is of interest you should call (206)FOR-UNIX or e-mail to sales@ssc
(uunet!pilchuck!ssc!sales, attmail!ssc!sales, and others)  and ask
for information on FRASM (Framework Assembler).
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl