[comp.lang.c] UNIX-like crypt function/crypt

ed@imuse.uucp (Ed Braaten) (10/09/89)

In article <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
>U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
>in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Funny thing!  The SCO Xenix machine I play on at home has the crypt()
facility on it, and I live in Dachau, (West) Germany.  How did it get
here?  I bought my Xenix in the US while back home on vacation,
installed it on my portable, and then lugged the portable back
with me here to Germany...

In article <164@spam.ua.oz>, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>  Let me confirm (although noone seems to doubt it) that the crypt() facility
>  is not available on UNIX machines in Australia, and I must say I find this
>  circumstance, although petty, a rather gratuitous insult from Uncle Sam.

I share your sentiments.  I think Uncle Sam is over-doing himself here.

Now for a question to my fellow Americans on the net:  What should I
do with my (???illegally???) exported crypt() routines?  Is my computer a
threat to National Security?

Ed Braaten                    | "Love the Lord your God with all your
Intel Semiconductor GmbH      |  heart and with all your soul and with
Dornacher Strasse 1           |  all your strength."  Deuteronomy 6:5
8016 Feldkirchen bei Muenchen |
West Germany                  | uucp: ed@imuse.uucp  Ph: +49 89 90992-426

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (10/09/89)

In article <750@imuse.uucp> ed@imuse.uucp (Ed Braaten) writes:

>Now for a question to my fellow Americans on the net:  What should I
>do with my (???illegally???) exported crypt() routines?  Is my computer a
>threat to National Security?

Report to the nearest shredder and have yourself terminated immediately!
(kill -9, do not pass GO, do not collect $200) :-)

I was exposed to the 'crypt' source by logging into a machine in the US
across an e-net link - does this constitute export?

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/11/89)

In article <750@imuse.uucp>, ed@imuse.uucp (Ed Braaten) writes:
> Funny thing!  The SCO Xenix machine I play on at home has the crypt()
> facility on it, and I live in Dachau, (West) Germany.  How did it get
> here?  I bought my Xenix in the US while back home on vacation,
> installed it on my portable, and then lugged the portable back
> with me here to Germany...

Whats with all the cross posting?  WHat a waste of bandwidth.
Was this a topic in all these groups? I have been reading them for weeks
now, and I don't remember seeing this in all three groups?

Great, well now we know that Crypt is out!  What a shock!  I hope I can
call my local secret service office before you launch all the missles
on the US of A's Trident submarines.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP

diamond@csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) (10/11/89)

In his last known posting to Usenet, ed@imuse.uucp (Ed Braaten) wrote:

>Funny thing!  The SCO Xenix machine I play on at home has the crypt()
>facility on it, and I live in Dachau, (West) Germany.  How did it get
>here?  I bought my Xenix in the US while back home on vacation,
>installed it on my portable, and then lugged the portable back
>with me here to Germany...
>Now for a question to my fellow Americans on the net:  What should I
>do with my (???illegally???) exported crypt() routines?  Is my computer a
>threat to National Security?

The court has not yet ruled whether a posted confession to Usenet
is as binding as a signed statement to police.  However, when this
information was obtained by the Insecure National Agency, they seized
Mr. Braaten's machine and found bits of hard evidence on his disk.
Usenet (despite periodic predictions to the contrary) will still be
around in 30 years when Mr. Braaten gets out of the slammer.  However,
his machine will not be able to keep up with upgraded communications
protocols, and alas, we will never hear from him again.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Corp. (diamond%ws.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net seems to work)
  The above opinions are inherited by your machine's init process (pid 1),