[comp.lang.c] Date -> time

jon@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jon Boede) (10/12/89)

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'm looking for a piece of code that converts
the Date field of messages into a nice time(2) style long integer that my C
program can use.  The messages envelopes on the other side of a gateway I'm in
charge of use a long instead of the ASCII date -- currently we're using the
date the letter arrived at the gateway as the "Date:" which, given the speed
of most Internet letters, is pretty good... but, not always.

The variety among Date: lines is even more frightening than From: lines. :-)

If anyone has a piece of code written, please mail me.  If anyone WANTS this
code, mail me as well... I'll have to write it if I don't get somebody else's,
and I'll be happy to re-distribute.

Please mail to jon@bodedo.ucm.org as I hardly ever get a chance to read news
these days (sigh).

Thanks!
-- -  -   -    -     -      -       -        -         -          -
Jon Boede					jon@bodedo.ucm.org
7117 Wood Hollow #726		...!{uunet,texbell}!cs.utexas.edu!bodedo!jon
Austin, TX  78731-2548				+1 512 346-3142
	"People who are incapable of making decisions are
	 the ones that hit those barrels at freeway exits"

In article <19481@ut-emx.UUCP> jon@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jon Boede) writes:
>Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'm looking for a piece of code that converts
>the Date field of messages into a nice time(2) style long integer that my C
>program can use...

Check out the getdate() function, shipped with most versions of news
software.  It's the de-facto standard for such things.  It is not perfect,
but pretty good.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu