[comp.lang.c] Looking for C function prototype extractor

TEITTINEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko) (10/17/89)

Hello netlanders!

I'm looking for a program that would take a C source file as input and
would output (to file or to screen) function prototypes for all
functions defined in the file. I would use this program to get the
function prototypes to header files without typing then again. I've
found it's hard to remember what new functions I've added to each module
and then transfer the prototypes to the appropriate header file. I think
somebody must have written a program like this, just tell me where I can
find it.

Thanks in advance.

--
EARN: teittinen@finuh                        ! "Studying is the only way
Internet: teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi           !  to do nothing without

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (10/18/89)

In article <983@cc.helsinki.fi> TEITTINEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko) writes:
>Hello netlanders!
>
>I'm looking for a program that would take a C source file as input and
>would output (to file or to screen) function prototypes for all
>functions defined in the file. I would use this program to get the

I wrote a program to do this for programs written with all functions done
with ANSI C prototype format.  The program will also make externs for all
global variables and include any typedefs or structure definitions.

Look for hgen.c in the anonymous ftp directory on this machine:  wpi.wpi.edu
(130.215.24.1).  I'll ask the operator to place the program there.  It may
take a day or so before he actually does, however.

condict@cs.vu.nl (Michael Condict) (10/19/89)

In article <4924@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>In article <983@cc.helsinki.fi> TEITTINEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko) writes:
>>Hello netlanders!
>>
>>I'm looking for a program that would take a C source file as input and
>>would output (to file or to screen) function prototypes for all
>>functions defined in the file. I would use this program to get the
>
>I wrote a program to do this for programs written with all functions done
>with ANSI C prototype format.  . . .

I also wrote and distributed a set of 3 sed scripts that do this.  I've moved
from my previous job with AT&T and didn't bring them with me, but I'm sure
you can get a copy from someone on the net.  Would someone who received
my fdecls sed scripts please mail a copy to Marko and also to me, while
you're at it.  Thanks.

Michael Condict
Vrije University
Amsterdam