[comp.lang.c] What is a constant expression

  Trying to get a net program working has brought up an interesting
question as to what is a constant expression.

  Background: large program, defines ASCII control characters with a
macro as follows:
	#define CNTL(c) ('c' & 037)
While this work fine with pcc, the ANSI preprocessor doesn't expand it.
I know that there is now a way to expand to a string, so I looked for
the way to expand to a character. I dind't find it. Therefore, rather
than plow through thousands of lines of someone else's code to change
all occurences, I redefined the macro as:
	#define CNTL(c) (#c[0] & 037)

  This expands as follows: CNTL(M) becomes ("M"[0] & 037). No problem,
the string is a constant, the subscript is a constant, the octal value
is a constant, and the compiler was happy. Except... where the macro was
used to initialize a static value, in which case it was "not a constant
expression."

  What am I missing in the standard? In looking up initializers in the
index, section 3.5.7 (L14) uses the term "constant expression." However
the index doesn't seem to list that term. I looked in the expressions
section and didn't find it. Obviously my assumption that it is an
expression made up entirely of elements whose value is known at compile
time" is incorrect.

  Don't waste your time telling me that's a bad way to do the macro, I
didn't write it, and I don't defend it.
that the world is flat!" - anon

kremer@cs.odu.edu (Lloyd Kremer) (10/21/89)

In article <1219@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>	#define CNTL(c) ('c' & 037)
>While this work fine with pcc, the ANSI preprocessor doesn't expand it.
>
>	#define CNTL(c) (#c[0] & 037)
>
>  This expands as follows: CNTL(M) becomes ("M"[0] & 037).
>where the macro was
>used to initialize a static value, in which case it was "not a constant
>expression."
>
>Obviously my assumption that it is an
>expression made up entirely of elements whose value is known at compile
>time" is incorrect.

This seemed like an interesting question, and I've been waiting for a response
from one of the real "legal eagles" of the Standard.  But since none is
forthcoming, I'll throw in my two cents.

The macro contains an array subscripting expression, and the compiler
apparently fears that the contents of the array may be changed at run time
rendering the expression non-constant.  However, notice that the array in
question is a *string literal*.  What is this compiler's policy regarding
the writability of string literals?

If they are writable, then the compiler's rejection of the expression is
justified.  If they are not, then the compiler is simply seeing the
subscripting operation, and prematurely giving up hope of constancy.

Of course, neither possibility offers a solution.  The compiler won't accept
to expression as constant.

I don't suppose it would do any good to put a "const" into the macro.

Just hypothesizing.  :-)

P.S. I support the adoption of the Standard, but it is disheartening to keep
seeing its introduction cause working code to break.  Growing pains, I guess.

--
					Lloyd Kremer
					...!uunet!xanth!kremer