[comp.lang.c] citing

ckl@uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) (10/24/89)

In article <11333@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article i wrote:
> >> [gwyn, 0->.., garbage, no type, ...]
> >for me, ((thing *)0) sounds quite reasonable.  ...
>
> Why is it that people keep citing one thing then reading it as something
> else?
> ((thing *)0) is of course JUST FINE.  How about reading what I SAID.

oops!  sorry!  i have to apologize.  of course i should have written
``((thing *) 0)->member sounds quite reasonable''.

as you probably know, i am a friend of ``((thing *) 0)'' as opposed to
NULL :-) if i'd really meant ``((thing *) 0)'' i would not have written
> [..........................................].  i agree that there is no
> meaningfull evaluation.  [...]

my point was, that the standards point of view doesnt seem intuitiv to me
so that i would appreciate you to explain *why* it should be obvious to a
good c programmer (or even to me :-)  instead of just arguing that the
standard says so.

christoph

ps: hu, pretty much emotions, cause of a null pointer...
--
# include <std/disclaimer.h>
Christoph Kuenkel/UniWare GmbH       Kantstr. 152, 1000 Berlin 12, West Germany

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/25/89)

In article <1909@uwbull.uwbln.UUCP> ckl@uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
>my point was, that the standards point of view doesnt seem intuitiv to me
>so that i would appreciate you to explain *why* it should be obvious to a
>good c programmer (or even to me :-)  instead of just arguing that the
>standard says so.

Well, I did start out calling it "garbage", which is how I as a
programmer actually think about it while writing code.  This
later evolved into "meaningless", because some folks showed an
affinity for garbage.