[comp.lang.c] ARRGH! Does anybody maintain a digest??

peed@cell.mot.COM (Andrew Peed) (10/24/89)

	Help, help, I'm drowning! I'd like to keep up with the discussion in
this newsgroup, but I don't have time to read it every day. Does anyone out
there in netland maintain a comp.lang.c.digest or some such thing? Please
E-mail...

				Thanx-
					Andy

Andrew B. Peed				 	 ...!uunet!motcid!peed

 You can bring the mountain to Mohammed, but you can't make it think.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/25/89)

In article <285@grape1.UUCP> peed@cell.mot.COM (Andrew Peed) writes:
>	Help, help, I'm drowning! I'd like to keep up with the discussion in
>this newsgroup, but I don't have time to read it every day. Does anyone out
>there in netland maintain a comp.lang.c.digest or some such thing? Please

Sure; put the following into a file and arrange for "cron" to mail it
to you on a regular basis.

	CONSTANT COMP.LANG.C DIGEST

	Novice asks:	When my totally scrambled program broke, why?

	Chris Torek responds:	[120 lines of detailed explanation and
			examples]

	Henry Spencer responds:	C works like that.

	Jim Giles chips in:	This shows how the C cabal is trying
			to rot everybody's mind out.

	Herman Rubin says:	C ought to let me test the overflow
			bit; after all, my machine does have one.

	Dennis Ritchie says:	If you want assembler, you know where
			to find it.

	Regular C user asks:	Does the Standard say anything about ...?

	Several:	Yes, it says ...

	Somebody:	Well, that's horrible!  We should never let a
			committee meddle with C.  C has always been
			like it was on the system I learned it on!

	Doug Gwyn replied:	Dammit, X3J11 knew what they were doing.
			Go away.

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (10/25/89)

In article <11405@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
}	Chris Torek responds...   Henry Spencer responds...
}	Doug Gywn replied...   Jim Giles chips in...
}	Dennis Ritchie says...   Herman Rubin says...

            I guess I'm going to have to either get smarter or be more
       obnoxious if I want to make the next list of:

	     WHO'S WHO IN COMP.LANG.C

       Why can't I use:

	    if (free(ptr), NULL+1 = (char*)getc(ptr))
	    #include-only-once-no-matter-what </dev/null>
	    /*/* fascist C compilers */ "foo"[a] = '??!'; */

       to set my overflow bit?  Geez, ANSI really screwed that up!

Oh well, guess I'll just have to work on that being smarter business,
John Hascall  /  Iowa State Comp Ctr  /  Ames IA

In article <1670@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> hascall@atanasoff.UUCP (John Hascall) writes:
>       Why can't I use:
>
>	    if (free(ptr), NULL+1 = (char*)getc(ptr))
>	    #include-only-once-no-matter-what </dev/null>
>	    /*/* fascist C compilers */ "foo"[a] = '??!'; */
>
>       to set my overflow bit?  Geez, ANSI really screwed that up!

You can use it to set *your* overflow bit -- certainly it sets *mine*! -- it
just won't set your *computer's* overflow bit.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu